Discuss Porous Travertine in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

L

len

Have been reading opposing opinions on the porosity of travertine, ranging from porous to impervious. Ignoring,if possible ,the natural cavities in the material... is travertine inherently porous. dunk a piece of terra cotta in water and it soon becomes apparant that it is porous as the air bubbles rise ...but travertine ?

Have come across people who are adamant that it has to be sealed to waterproof it!

L

len

thanks for the info Dave. Its not that I am bothered with waterproofing it,its just that I am puzzled at the contradictory views from experts as to the porosity of the material.

D

DHTiling

As materials go it is not that porous as compared to terracotta as you mentioned but will wet up if left to soak..what are your concerns len as to this subject...thanks .....dave...

L

len

Hi Dave. Nothing more than curiosity at the differing opinions on Travertine porosity. Happy to lay it in wet areas. Whilst on this material,I have been asked to lay 50mm tiles on Wedi board based wet room. Not totally conviced at the suitablity of tile backer board on floors,and especially concerned that pressure on individual tiles may indent the board. I see that Wedi's web site shows mosaic tiled displays. But what is really bothering me is that i swear that i caught site of a rather detailed post on this site early last week which stated that mosaics on tile backer board was NOT recommended. Cant find the post. Can you help?
len

D

DHTiling

Mosaics are ok on backer boards as any other substrate as long as you use the correct adhesives then no problem..wedi boards have a high compression strength..but really should not be walked on too much until tiled........dave..

Last edited by a moderator:
L

len

thanks again Dave. I think that I know what you mean by no excessive walking on Wedi board.Just today had to skim a Wedi floor due to severe indentations!

Reply to Porous Travertine in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay