Search the forum,

Discuss passed CSCS test,where now in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

bluevin123

icon11.gif
passed CSCS test,where now
Hi,
Passed the CSCS test on Saturday,and was told to ring up a number today. When I rang them I thought I would have to pay £25 and be sent a card.
No not at all...
They asked what trade I was in and certificates I had, and if I had an apprenticeship and told them it was from a 1 week course last year,they said I would have to work towards acheiving an NVQ2 and they could send out someone within 4 weeks to assess me
Im a bit nervous about that at the mo,so said Ill get back to them.
I thought once I passed the test I would be issued with a card and then when I see a tiling job advertised,say at the job centre that requires a CSCS card I thought I could apply for it knowing I have the basic site health and safety skills.
Didnt realise was it shows how competent you are in your job.
What if I was a labourer on site,would I have to be trained to a standard.
Cheers.
Vin.:furious3:

I

ipanderson83

Would it be a good idea for someone just starting out like myself to get a CSCS card?
I am due to start a 4 week course and they claim to assist in getting it for you and starting you off with the NVQ cert..?
Is it just for site work or a standard requirement?

B

bluevin123

Hi mate,
Its only required for sitework at the minute,thats why I went for it,but thought they'd give me a card after completing it.
Vin :disappointed::disappointed::disappointed::disappointed:

D

DHTiling

Hello vinnie......
check this out it will explain all.......

The Construction Skills Certification Scheme (CSCS) is a way of proving that everyone on a building site is qualified to do the job.
Tradesmen and women have to be formally qualified to receive a CSCS card and more than one million people have signed-up with the scheme since it started in 1995. Our quick guide explains the benefits of having a CSCS card – and how to get one.

I’m only a small builder – how does this affect me?
Homeowners won’t ask to see proof of your qualifications via a CSCS card for small domestic jobs. But if you win a subcontract package on a sizeable construction site, the main contractor will often insist you have a fully-carded workforce. Any job run by the 14 members of the Major Contractors Group will demand 100% membership of CSCS. Employing people who are qualified under the scheme also offers you a guarantee of their skills.
Sounds like a good thing to have. How do I get one?
You can apply by downloading a form directly from the CSCS website.
What happens then?
The first stage of the process is to pass a basic health and safety test at one of a network of online test centres. Tests can be booked directly.
Ok I’ve passed that, what’s the next stage?
You now have to show proof of being qualified in your chosen trade to NVQ standard. You may have to sit new exams or be tested at work if you are an experienced worker.
So if I’ve been doing the job a long time - I don't have to take more exams?
No, not necessarily. If you are an experienced tradesperson with no formal qualifications an assessor can watch you at work and convert your skills into an appropriate NVQ qualification. This is known as On-Site Assessment and Training (OSAT), or Experienced Worker Practical Assessment (EWPA). Both these routes can cost more than £500 per employee to pay for the assessors’ time but the fees can be claimed back in grants from ConstructionSkills. Find out if you're suitable for these routes here.
How much does it cost to get a card?
All basic CSCS cards cost £25 and it costs £17.50 to sit the health and safety test. Extra costs start to ramp up if you go down the OSAT and EWPA test routes (explained above).
Are there different types of card?
Yes – there are nine different coloured cards in all covering everyone you would find on site from trainees to senior managers. The full range of cards and the occupations covered are listed here.
I’ve been offered a fake CSCS card down the pub, is it worth having?
No. The scheme administrators have vowed to bring the police in whenever forgeries are discovered
It still seems a lot of effort to get qualified. Can’t I just ignore the whole scheme?
Of course you can but CSCS is becoming the industry standard and finding work on site will become increasingly difficult without it. A card is proof that you can do the job and without one you will lose work worth far more than the cost of qualification.

The domain www.buildersbox.co.uk is registered by NetNames - http://www.buildersbox.co.uk/blogs/builders-skills/2007/10/cscs-cards-a-qa-for-builders.html

Last edited by a moderator:
P

penno

As long as you have completed the H&S test mate then you dont even need a card to get on site.
As long as you can tell them your CSCS number and show your pass certificate you can get onto site no problem.
However the certificate lasts for two years but the card for 5.
Wait a year and send for the card in a years time as a "time served"

B

bluevin123

Thanks alot guys and Dave for that very detailed reply, oh cheers Penno,thats what I was hoping, would make more sense if I could just show my certificate for now to gain access whilst picking up experience.
Thanks.
Vin.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Reply to passed CSCS test,where now in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen