Discuss Mixing wet-room systems? in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

RichN

-
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've managed to get an Aqua4ma linear shower tray for a very good price, but am now looking at the rest of the panels to make up the system for a wetroom. However the price of the panels are nuts, about £50 a pop for a 1200x800 panel at 19mm thick to match the tray height. Im wondering if theres any problems with either
A; Using something like Knauff aquapanel for the floors and walls instead and bonding the edges. However im unsure how the Aqua4ma UPVC panels would bond to the aquapanel?
Or B; use MR plasterboard and just tank the whole lot?

Both options are going to be about half the price of buying the full Aqua4ma kit.

Or is there something im forgetting and its worth just splashing out on the full kit?

Thanks in advance
Rich

O

Old Mod

Can you supply link to the actual shower former you have purchased please.
Thank you.

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've managed to get an Aqua4ma linear shower tray for a very good price, but am now looking at the rest of the panels to make up the system for a wetroom. However the price of the panels are nuts, about £50 a pop for a 1200x800 panel at 19mm thick to match the tray height. Im wondering if theres any problems with either
A; Using something like Knauff aquapanel for the floors and walls instead and bonding the edges. However im unsure how the Aqua4ma UPVC panels would bond to the aquapanel?
Or B; use MR plasterboard and just tank the whole lot?

Both options are going to be about half the price of buying the full Aqua4ma kit.

Or is there something im forgetting and its worth just splashing out on the full kit?

Thanks in advance
Rich
[automerge]1571912821[/automerge]
Mixing and matching different manufacturers is never a good idea. If there is ever a problem they will all blame each other's products. Or even worse, You! If you fit wetrooms on a regular basis you would be best advised to find one manufacturer that you like and stick with them. Something like Rhino or Marlin floor formers are easy to fit and generally well priced.

Last edited:

RichN

-
Reaction score
I’ve been reccomended the best bet might be just to use the Aqua4ma deck kit and then MR plasterbord on the walls and board the floor then tank the lot. Would you agree with that? It would certainly be a lot cheaper!
Thanks
Rich

Reaction score
I’ve been reccomended the best bet might be just to use the Aqua4ma deck kit and then MR plasterbord on the walls and board the floor then tank the lot. Would you agree with that? It would certainly be a lot cheaper!
Thanks
Rich
Not really. Moisture Resistant is not best practice in a wet room. If you are past the point of no return (using different suppliers) then I would suggest Googling WATER PROOF TILE BACKER BOARDS. They shouldn't be expensive. You can use them on floors and walls and they come in varying thicknesses. Make sure you have a tanking kit that includes tape. Important to tape the wall / floor junction. I would always prefer a tanking sheet membrane for the floor. You can tile on it immediately. Rather than a paint on. It's more expensive but there's a reason for that. Paint on's are fine for walls generally. But something like Orca tanking membrane is a good for floors. It's important that your shower is waterproof before you tile. Obvious thing to say I know. But you would be surprised at how many people think it's the tiles that make your wet room waterproof. Good luck.

Reply to Mixing wet-room systems? in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks