Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss I’m trying to get advice on bidding for contracts. in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi fellow Tiler’s.

I’ve been a tiler for 15 years now. I served my time with one of the biggest firms in Scotland and I’m currently working for a smaller mob as a subby.

My goal is to eventually get contracts from big building firms but I’m unsure about the steps I’d need to take to pursue this. I’m aware I’d need to get my health and safety licenses and stuff like that but I don’t even know the proper names of these licenses or how to go about getting them and once I have them I’ve got no idea how I’d get in touch with these building companies and bid for upcoming contracts. Any advice on this topic would be greatly appreciated guys.

cheers!

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
This isn't an area I'm clued up on, but to get your foot in the door with a big firm right off the bat is the kind of news you read in The Sun, it's so rare. So I think you need to tackle the smaller bidding first.

When you find out how to (I don't know how) you'll find you need to bid for work that goes out to tender. For competition reasons councils will put it out to tender each year, but usually always go for the same contractors. It's just a ploy to look open, and a tactic to keep the pricing down for them with the actual contractor they want to do the work.

I can imagine it being very similar with bigger builder. So unless their existing contractor has dropped a ball somewhere you might find it's really hard to get your foot in the door.

We had a lass on here who used to only do this (as in didn't tile too) for a firm (or her own I forget now) but not sure she's on the forums anymore. She used to post in the TilersForums Arms every now and again about this kinda stuff. So might be worth you getting in there if/when we find out who that was, you'll be able search her contributions to the forum and see what she had to deal with. It wasn't all gravy.

Your optimism is admirable. Keep it up. :)

Reaction score
This isn't an area I'm clued up on, but to get your foot in the door with a big firm right off the bat is the kind of news you read in The Sun, it's so rare. So I think you need to tackle the smaller bidding first.

When you find out how to (I don't know how) you'll find you need to bid for work that goes out to tender. For competition reasons councils will put it out to tender each year, but usually always go for the same contractors. It's just a ploy to look open, and a tactic to keep the pricing down for them with the actual contractor they want to do the work.

I can imagine it being very similar with bigger builder. So unless their existing contractor has dropped a ball somewhere you might find it's really hard to get your foot in the door.

We had a lass on here who used to only do this (as in didn't tile too) for a firm (or her own I forget now) but not sure she's on the forums anymore. She used to post in the TilersForums Arms every now and again about this kinda stuff. So might be worth you getting in there if/when we find out who that was, you'll be able search her contributions to the forum and see what she had to deal with. It wasn't all gravy.

Hey Dan,

Thanks

Hey Dan,
Thanks for replying mate. Yeah I’m sure it’ll be a long hard road trying to get my foot in the door but I’ll give it a go. I’ll try to find the lassie your on about I’m sure she’ll have some good pointers. By the way I’m pretty useless with navigating this site, would you have any advice on how I’d go about searching for her?

thanks again!
[automerge]1571578619[/automerge]
Do you have a cscs card?
Yes I’ve got one mate.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Dan,

Thanks

Hey Dan,
Thanks for replying mate. Yeah I’m sure it’ll be a long hard road trying to get my foot in the door but I’ll give it a go. I’ll try to find the lassie your on about I’m sure she’ll have some good pointers. By the way I’m pretty useless with navigating this site, would you have any advice on how I’d go about searching for her?

thanks again!
[automerge]1571578619[/automerge]

Yes I’ve got one mate.
If somebody can remember her username we will be able to link you to search her posts. Think it was Sharon something or other. But might be mixing her up there. Isn't MissTiler Sharon? Can't remember now. Terrible with names let alone usernames too lol

Hang in ther somebody will be able help better than me. :)

Reaction score
If somebody can remember her username we will be able to link you to search her posts. Think it was Sharon something or other. But might be mixing her up there. Isn't MissTiler Sharon? Can't remember now. Terrible with names let alone usernames too lol

Hang in ther somebody will be able help better than me. :)
No worries Dan thanks mate.

D

Dumbo

Why not just contact a few large building companies that you are thinking of targeting and ask them how to get on their tender list.
Speak to an hse company about risk assessment statements there are plenty around
[automerge]1571586627[/automerge]
It did some work on a McCarthy/stone project the other year and the guy that was supplying the tiles and adhesives also got the tiling contract that he subbed out .

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to I’m trying to get advice on bidding for contracts. in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
laattaana
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks