Search the forum,

Discuss Home Insurance in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Anybody got some recommendations for home insurance companies? Got quotes here that range by hundreds!

And moneysupermarket said "We're checking 87 companies" and came back with not a single one of them could quote me. lmao

Must be all the computers! haha

I

Ian

I use direct line for everything mate, van, car, liability, buildings and contents, the whole lot. Always well priced and a really good level of cover.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
They're quoting 220 more than the next nearest mate. You must get uber discount for being super loyal or something. I have nowt with them already, but their forms on their website did ask.

It was also the most difficult website to find the check box to stop any calls, emails, letters, and to stop my details being sold to a third party firm. They hid it under a text link the cheeky buggers. Just saying. That's not insurance price applicable lol

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
how many computers you got then?

Just moved house so I've got them all sitting in the office now, some quite old but still valuable, and the mac was bought not long ago. 4 PC's, 3 Laptops, 1 Macbook Pro, 2 iPhones worth £800 each too.

Must be 12 - 14k of computers when they were all in their prime. Though parts devalue that quickly that I dare say other than the macbook which you can still buy for £2300, the rest are worth £50.

Though I'm listing what I paid for them (as I'd want a replacement not just 50 quid back) so they're turning out to be complicated to insure.

F

Fliselege

Here it pays to have house insurance, car insurance and breakdown cover, travel insurance etc with same company, the more you have, the more discount you get. Also pays to change every year, premiums go up on the quiet and rival companies always cheaper .

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
To be fair mate I find shopping around every year pays off long-term.

The car and van insurance are the most expensive, so incur the greatest changes from one firm to another, though the travel insurance, home insurance, breakdown cover etc etc etc are all minor compared to the van and car in my case. So if they threw it all in FOC with my car insurance, I'd still probably find it works out cheaper by shopping around, getting the best deal on the car, and then just buying the cheapest of all the other stuff on top.

I have loads of no claims with all insurance now so keep including that when it asks but not all do.

Might be worth me ringing some tomorrow too I think. These standard forms you fill in on websites don't really suit me that well. I have just a couple of expensive things and want to insure those, and couldn't care less about accidental damage and insuring things away from home etc which is what they all seem to be geared up for.

D

Deleted member 9966

Dan, is it worth trying to insure all the pc gear separately? There must be a provider out there. Then you can get standard home insurance for the house.

M

Marksmithtiling

I changed my home and contents from Direct Line to ASDA saved nearly £300 better cover also, emergency call out etc included

Reply to Home Insurance in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen