Discuss Guys, I'm Panicking in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

goz

TF
Reaction score
Really need advice. 80m2 limestone floor is underway, Alpha screed, all moisture tested, sanded hoovered and primed , tiles being laid with anhyfix. The limestone is 900x600, 600x600, 600x300 and 300x300.
When I first went to start my customer informed me that not all the stone was in the country! Not ideal. We had enough to make a start where a new staircase was being fitted roughly 6m2 so agreed with Him to lay in opus pattern . 2 weeks later the rest of the stone turns up 4 pallets. Laid about 30m2 before noticing we were using a hell a lot more of the 600x600 than the 900x600. The ratio of tiles within the pallet do not match the opus pattern!!!!!!!!
Spoke to the customer who is really keen to just change the pattern to accommodate the larger tile, this is gonna look awful? It will smack you in the face no?
He's fairly laid back about it all and just wants the larger stone used up, I'm not convinced. I'm slightly annoyed that the stone supplied is not the correct ratio for opus . My question is, how the hell do I continue from here?!!! I respect you guys and your opinion and look forward to your replies
Chris
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I

Ian

Bit of a pickle this one! The only real solution I can see is to replace the 900x600 with a 600x600 and a 300x600, just make sure they are laid so that two of the 600x600's don't sit directly underneath each other in the pattern. This is of course if you have enough 600x300's to do this otherwise you'll have to cut the extra 600x600's in half and re-chisel the edges. Hope that makes sense, it seems to be the only solution I can see.

goz

TF
Reaction score
Bit of a pickle this one! The only real solution I can see is to replace the 900x600 with a 600x600 and a 300x600, just make sure they are laid so that two of the 600x600's don't sit directly underneath each other in the pattern. This is of course if you have enough 600x300's to do this otherwise you'll have to cut the extra 600x600's in half and re-chisel the edges. Hope that makes sense, it seems to be the only solution I can see.

Thanks for the reply , the issue is we have to many of the 900x600 tiles left. Would I get away with cutting some of them down to 600x600 and chisel edge?
It will look awful accommodating a diff pattern at this stage?

T

Tile Shop

Cutting and chiselling would be one heck of a time consuming ball-ache. And if you're cutting down larger tiles, won't that leave you short coverage wise after discarding the cuts?

Was it from a UK supplier that just didn't have enough in stock at the time or did he actually order them from overseas? You may be able to get replacements fairly quick. Customer shouldn't have booked you in until he had the right materials for you to fit.

It really should be down to the supplier to correct it, but so that you don't get it in the neck from the customer, put the ball in their court and leave the choice of where to go next to them. He can't have a go at you if you do as he's asked, but continuing without his input, could lead to an issue down the line? depends on the customer I suppose.

But I have to say, looking very nice so far :)

Ste-G

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I've had to do this myself. Cut the 900's down and try roughing the edge up with a grinder and then soften with a rubbing stone or polishing pad, this might be quicker than chiseling the edge, if not just chisel instead. Remember you only have to worry about the very top edge, when it's grouted that's all you see.

goz

TF
Reaction score
Cutting and chiselling would be one heck of a time consuming ball-ache. And if you're cutting down larger tiles, won't that leave you short coverage wise after discarding the cuts?

Was it from a UK supplier that just didn't have enough in stock at the time or did he actually order them from overseas? You may be able to get replacements fairly quick. Customer shouldn't have booked you in until he had the right materials for you to fit.

It really should be down to the supplier to correct it, but so that you don't get it in the neck from the customer, put the ball in their court and leave the choice of where to go next to them. He can't have a go at you if you do as he's asked, but continuing without his input, could lead to an issue down the line? depends on the customer I suppose.

But I have to say, looking very nice so far :)

Running short of stone after cutting down the larger tile is the worry, it's a uk supplier who imported overseas. Customer is quite the eccentric ! Lovely guy but organisation is not his strong point, turned up today to be confronted by 3 guys fitting blinds on my floor, a Chippy a decorator and a sparky, full bloody house, walked strAight back out hence the early post early finish!!!
Will chat with him tomorrow, I do have a lad and rubi dc250 1200 wet saw so can run a few cuts off and make an edge on them if need be.
Thankyou for your kind words, I may not always post on the site but I check in often and always love how open everyone is with their knowledge, great professionals

I

Ian

Yeah sorry I didn't read your first post correctly! As the others have said, if you can't wait for more stone, chop the 900's down and re-chisel the edge, it's not as difficult as you might think.

goz

TF
Reaction score
Yeah sorry I didn't read your first post correctly! As the others have said, if you can't wait for more stone, chop the 900's down and re-chisel the edge, it's not as difficult as you might think.
Bri, when you say chisel you mean? I was thinking of using my angle grinder to add a rough texture look?

I

Ian

Bri, when you say chisel you mean? I was thinking of using my angle grinder to add a rough texture look?
Yeah that's the easiest/ quickest way. You shouldn't have too many to do, try and save a load for cuts up to the walls, even less to do then.

H

hmtiling

I've done a fair bit with them. I'd suggest going heavy with first coat of sealant and bal limestone wideflex looks good with it imo.
Good luck

goz

TF
Reaction score
I've done a fair bit with them. I'd suggest going heavy with first coat of sealant and bal limestone wideflex looks good with it imo.
Good luck
Nice, thanks for the grout tip, was wondering how to attack that, so deep and wide in places, will def look into this

Reply to Guys, I'm Panicking in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks