Discuss Fixing Loose Lay Cable System in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Bloody mats, always springing up when you don't want them too despite staples and tape - you think you've got all the curly bits until you whack some SLC on and then up they come :mad:

So next time I'm going to try with loose laid cable - what are the preferred methods of holding the cable down until the SLC goes on?

The suppliers suggest using little bits of tape, far too fiddly for me, you tear a bit off and it sticks to everything and you then have to find the end on the roll again :rolleyes:

Could it be stapled? ensuring that you didn't catch the cable of course, how about dabs of hot melt, any better ways?

Reaction score
The loose wire kits should come with a tape which you can stick the wire down with and measure the wire spacing.

Otherwise, maybe try a matting system like vario pro or ditra heat.
Depending on the area it can be alot more costly but easier to fit.

I

Ian

I fitted loose cable once and never again! It's so labour intensive compared to the mats. I always spread some rapid SPF over the mat prior to SLC, this way there are no problems with floaters.

O

One Day

tmp_15582-2016-03-11 19.17.20604975443.jpg

martin1c

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I never use the mats for the reason that yes, they do spring up all over the place. I always use loose wire now.

I use lengths of double sided sticky tape across the room at intervals which holds the wiring in place. Just to be in the safe side I then use the supplied warmup tape over the double sided tape. Word of warning though, avoid air pockets in the tape. I've heard that it can cause problems even though Warmup instructions actually tell you to tape all wires.

O

One Day

That clip things looks good, where you get it?
ezewarm. I've installed plenty of ditra heart e too. Love it but it's only worthwhile if you can save on time. If the floor needs leveling as this one did, then loose cables with wedi boards is far more cost effective.

S

Stef

ezewarm. I've installed plenty of ditra heart e too. Love it but it's only worthwhile if you can save on time. If the floor needs leveling as this one did, then loose cables with wedi boards is far more cost effective.
I use Ezewarm mats all the time, great service from Russel.
Are those boards Jackon from CTD m8?
I see you said wedi but I thought they looked like Jackon.

O

One Day

I use Ezewarm mats all the time, great service from Russel.
Are those boards Jackon from CTD m8?
I see you said wedi but I thought they looked like Jackon.
Yes they are the ctd boards. Well spotted! Just for insulation so wedi would be overkill.

Reaction score
Where do you get the Ezewarm gear from? googled for it but only a couple of suppliers came up and can't see those fixing strips anywhere.

Reaction score
Mats (if sticky) and boards are fine, done correctly and a decent leveller over matting then shouldnt get much dovetailing.

however, variopro is getting great feedback. cable with an uncoupling membraine
TileTown-Image-3.jpg

Reply to Fixing Loose Lay Cable System in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks