Search the forum,

Discuss Fila And Topps Tiles in the General Off-topic Chat (nothing tile) area at TilersForums.com.

C

Carol McCullock

Hi, has anyone had a similar experience .......
I bought some split face tiles in Oyster. When I was researching I noticed a sample that was a nicer, darker colour and asked the Top Tiles (TT), sales person why that was. He stated they were sealed ones.
When I purchased them
I asked for a sealer (niavely) thinking they would make them darker. I was sold TT 'Unpolishef Protector'. I applied the product (with a brush as directed) and at first it looked lovely - until it tried and went back to its original colour. I read the reverse of the bottle and it said I needed to put a coat of TT Colour Intensifier on, I rang them and they said I could only get it in 1ltr bottle for £40. The area I was doing was only approx 1m sq. I tried to source a cheaper option elsewhere but everyone told me that you couldn't do it on top of the first coat and that I needed to know what was in the unpolished protector to make sure it would be compatible and not cause a reaction. There is nothing on the reverse of the UP to state what's in it. TT eventually told me who made it - FILA. I tried to find out what was in it from them. They sent me product information but it did not state what chemicals were in it. I then asked FILA if they're named brand would be compatible. Even after a series of emails they would not say it was compatible. She provided a list of TT branches that had smaller quantities of TT colour intensifier (something I was never offered edited). Whilst talking to a very helpful TT branch he thought the Fila named colour intensifier would be fine as it is nite readily available and cheaper. He emailed Fila and the same woman that I had been emailing said it was?
Why was this do difficult - it seems a bjatanr example of TT ripping people off?? I'm open to other suggestions?

O

Old Mod

The man to answer all your questions would be @Lithofin BOB
He's our resident mad scientist! :rolleyes:
Just as a side note tho, it's never worth scrimping on sealers and impregnators, they can make all the difference to the longevity of your tile and the amount of maitanence needed.

.......and welcome to the forum @Carol McCullock

T

Tile Shop

No experience with Fila but most places make different sealers with different finishes depending on the look you want. During the original sale it should have been dicussed with you as to what your options were. Sounds like you got a member of staff who's heart really wasn't in it that day.

As a example, we do LTP. Their Mattstone sealer is a primary seal that stays its natural colour. Their colour intensifier is also a primary sealer and will deepen the colour. Then they do a secondary surface sealer called iron wax. Satin and gloss options that will both deepen the colour and give the tiles different wet look shines depending on your preferance.

But firstly, £40 is a bit steep. Secondly i've never heard of mixed chemicals being an issue. it would be more of a case that if the tiles had already been sealed, the colour intensifier may not take to the tole in the way its designed to do, thus having little effect. However there should be some kind of seconday polish available. I see no reason why the Ltp ironwax wouldn't work.

This is the point that we ask @Lithofin BOB to step in and give us his technical opinion and options on the lithofin equivalents.

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
@Paul C. Mixing sealer brands can be an issue , it is common practice to not mix brands.

Also LTP. Mattstone can slghtly darken certain stones..

As for TOPPSTILES , then it is lack of in house training.

Ref to the question in hand , the sealer used can be stripped back and then use colour intensifier...

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Are the products solvent based or water based you have used?
Most importantly where are the tiles you want to impregnate, dry area or wet room bathroom?
Have you purchased a colour intensifier yet?

C

Carol McCullock

Th
Are the products solvent based or water based you have used?
Most importantly where are the tiles you want to impregnate, dry area or wet room bathroom?
Have you purchased a colour intensifier yet?[/QUO
the area is behind the hob. I haven't purchased one yet am waiting for TT to find a smaller one.

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score

if you have a spare tile unlaid , you could test apply the original impregnator to this and let cure , when you get the colour intensifier , apply a saturation on top of this for 8-10 mins. is this being repelled by the impregnator, if so you would need to strip out the impregnator (as Dave suggest) .Then re apply colour enhancer and then the impregnator again if required. after several days drying, remove all moisture.

If it soaks through and when excess has been removed and dried and this has enhanced the tile, you could then apply to the wall section. check if you need to apply the impregnator over the colour enhancer to give full water and oil protection as this is important over this cooking area.

topical finishes are available, which can darken . i would not recommend these in this area as steam may penetrate the finish and turn white , stick with the impregnators you have.

C

Carol McCullock

if you have a spare tile unlaid , you could test apply the original impregnator to this and let cure , when you get the colour intensifier , apply a saturation on top of this for 8-10 mins. is this being repelled by the impregnator, if so you would need to strip out the impregnator (as Dave suggest) .Then re apply colour enhancer and then the impregnator again if required. after several days drying, remove all moisture.

If it soaks through and when excess has been removed and dried and this has enhanced the tile, you could then apply to the wall section. check if you need to apply the impregnator over the colour enhancer to give full water and oil protection as this is important over this cooking area.

topical finishes are available, which can darken . i would not recommend these in this area as steam may penetrate the finish and turn white , stick with the impregnators you have.
Ok thanks for the info. I'm going to chase TT up today to see if they have the product in yet. I posted this really to make people aware of the fact TT are clearly pulling the wool over people's eyes, by not stating what is in their product and forcing you to buy two products as opposed to one. Also the lengths that the Fila went to not to say their product was compatible.

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
this may be the case, you can access their cosh , as far as content- you wont ever get the finer details of ingredients!! you generally do need to use two products one colour enhancer ( these are generally water repelling only) which is then followed by a full water and oil repelling product required in these areas. unless you can get an all in one , (oil and water repel and enhancement which are available.

Reply to Fila And Topps Tiles in the General Off-topic Chat (nothing tile) area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen