Discuss Conservatory Started. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

T

Tile Shop

So started ripping the old tiles up by the back door. And beneath them, found a nice little gully. About 3 inches wide by over 6 deep. The whole floor is getting covered with marmox and ufh, then a 6mm layer of bal level max. So what do i do about this hole? Fill it in od does anyone know if there is a reason for it being there?

And yes, tiles were laid half hovering over the gap. And the black dots are ants. Big nest living in the hole, now obliterated with a few kettles of boiling water.

20160716_145851.jpg 20160716_153054.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Time's Ran Out

The gap is just the cavity between the bricks but here from the concrete sub base to the outside brickwork. Put a damp roof membrane over the bricks fill it with sand/cement and overboard with your preparation method.

Kyle Knowles

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I've actually just had the same thing today at a job I cut some strips of the backer board to go again the bricks goin to outside to stop any damp transfer

S

Stocks Tiles

This job isn't in Chatteris, Cambridgeshire is it? Looks a lot like a job I quoted which had them tiles with that brickwork and them slabs outside and issues with tiles by the doors lifting :hushed:

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Oooh it's gonna be hot work for you next week Paul C!

T

Tile Shop

Not mine exactly. Landlords. Rent stays down if we do improvements. Told her i was doing it myself. And she says "as long as you do a professional job like the last tiler.....". I've ripped the tiles up and its safe to say that if he took his time, my grandad could do a better job. And he's been dead for 8 years!

Wall trowel in every direction. Unbroken ribs. Hollow points. The grout joints varied from 5 to 10mm. Lips everywhere.

So next stage is to grind the old adhesive up, hoover, fill in the hole with sand and BAL Quickset cement (thanks @timeless john ), prime, then get the marmox down. And fit in a trip to the tip with the rubble.

20160717_102227.jpg 20160717_110602.jpg 20160717_110641.jpg

T

Time's Ran Out

Looks like there could be a bit of rising moisture at the bottom brick. Or it's the cleaning of the floor marking the 1st course of bricks - might be worth putting a 100mm skirting tile.

T

Tile Shop

We are doing a skirting. On the window walls, we were contemplating going full height to the sill. Might be a bit too much though. Got a multicolour slate effect. Might be too much pattern.

Anyway. Done for the day. Just got out the shower cuz my god, i needed one. Had the roof fan going, another tower fan, alll the windows and doors open. Didn't work. Overdid it a bit at one point. Had to crawl out the conservatory and collapsed on the kithen floor. Couple of hours power nap and a couple of paracetamol, and good to go again. Drank 4 litres of water and only went for one pee.

So. Because of height restrictions, i had to grind some of the floor. Then after laying the spirit level, found a 5mm dip down the centre of the room. Brought that up with the slc. The old adhesive was proper stuck. No shifting it. So once the slc was dry, got the marmox under way. Thats all done now. Leaving the addy to dry over night.

Tomorrow before work i will tape the joints, after work lay the thermonet, level it, then tiling can begin.

I

Italy

We are doing a skirting. On the window walls, we were contemplating going full height to the sill. Might be a bit too much though. Got a multicolour slate effect. Might be too much pattern.

Anyway. Done for the day. Just got out the shower cuz my god, i needed one. Had the roof fan going, another tower fan, alll the windows and doors open. Didn't work. Overdid it a bit at one point. Had to crawl out the conservatory and collapsed on the kithen floor. Couple of hours power nap and a couple of paracetamol, and good to go again. Drank 4 litres of water and only went for one pee.

So. Because of height restrictions, i had to grind some of the floor. Then after laying the spirit level, found a 5mm dip down the centre of the room. Brought that up with the slc. The old adhesive was proper stuck. No shifting it. So once the slc was dry, got the marmox under way. Thats all done now. Leaving the addy to dry over night.

Tomorrow before work i will tape the joints, after work lay the thermonet, level it, then tiling can begin.
you've done a poo...? ;)

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
You might be better off working a night shift Paul and sleeping in the garden during the day (with factor 50+). I've done a few conservatories in the past and just remember dripping sweat all over the floor.....too much water and salt in the grout! Urgh!

At least that Level Max will go off ultra fast!

T

Tile Shop

You might be better off working a night shift Paul and sleeping in the garden during the day (with factor 50+). I've done a few conservatories in the past and just remember dripping sweat all over the floor.....too much water and salt in the grout! Urgh!

At least that Level Max will go off ultra fast!

Night shift i don't mind. As for the level max, hope it ain't that quick. I'm only an amatuer!

This is how i left it when i went to work. Now i need to mark out the heat mat. Let it cool down and hit the levelling.

On the second pic, you'll see the kick plate of the door. I have 18mm left. 6ish for heating and slc, tiles 9, leaving 3mm for adhesive. My levelling has got to be bob on. And its my first attempt. No pressure then.

All part of the learning process :)

20160718_123728.jpg 20160718_123715.jpg

I

Italy

Night shift i don't mind. As for the level max, hope it ain't that quick. I'm only an amatuer!

This is how i left it when i went to work. Now i need to mark out the heat mat. Let it cool down and hit the levelling.

On the second pic, you'll see the kick plate of the door. I have 18mm left. 6ish for heating and slc, tiles 9, leaving 3mm for adhesive. My levelling has got to be bob on. And its my first attempt. No pressure then.

All part of the learning process :)

View attachment 83095 View attachment 83096
same!!! I apprenticed!!! go go is ok ;)

Reply to Conservatory Started. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay