Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss black sparkly quartz onto bumpy whites ? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

K

kev

I'm about to tile a single wall the length of a bath up to the ceiling with 300 x 300 black gulfstone quartz tiles ... At present the wall is tiled with 200x250 bumpy whites .they are soundly fixed and its only going to take about 30 odd tiles to complete the job , question is do I definatly need to remove the bumpy whites, or will it be ok tiled over ? I'm using bal spf to fix them .

I

Ian

I personally wouldn't fix something that heavy over existing tiles, definitely remove them IMO.

Sent via Tapatalk for iPhone

K

kev

Just checked the wall and its an absolutly Solid built wall , and all the tiles are as firm as could be ...just seems like I'm making extra work for my self... The wall is in my own house so its not for a customer .

W

White Room

At the end of the day the choice is yours, what is the backing/substrate the existing tiles are fixed to.

G

glasgow_tiler

it one of those things tiling over tiles, if wall is solid then its up to you, i know loads of folk who do it and i have done it myself several times so choice is yours tbh,

G

glasgow_tiler

it one of those things tiling over tiles, if wall is solid then its up to you, i know loads of folk who do it and i have done it myself several times so choice is yours tbh,

just watch the weight of the tile as there pretty solid

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Some weight them tiles to a M2, take em off wouldnt want them landing on my head while im cleaning me bits !

K

kev

Ok I don't really understand the weight issues ... Well I kindda do , but surely the weight will be transfered directly downwards thus making it extremely unlikely if not impossible for them to.fail , please correct me if I'm wrong ... But has anyone ever seen this happen, because I just can't imagine.it could happen if the wall is perfectly uprite

P

Peter

6x6 white etc over well fixed tiles would probably be fine but 30kg/m quartz is a disaster waiting to happen.

M

Martino

Personally i have never seen a tile fall off a tile and as your grout line's are going to be all staggerd across the origionl ones, i cant see 1 tile falling off, the only way i can see a problem is it a while section fell at once! which happens when ur taking tile's off sometimes as its the grout holding them in place rather than the adhesive!

Reply to black sparkly quartz onto bumpy whites ? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
laattaana
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks