Search the forum,

Discuss Beaters Day on saturday in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

D

Dougs Third Go

well it's been 35 years since I last shot a shotgun but as I've done beating on 10 of the 11 drives we've had this season I've been asked if I want to shoot this saturday. The conundrum is...my lad wants to come, also I feel obliged to take my dog, but having two fidgets next to me on a peg whilst I'm taking aim with a 12 bore might be a bit dangerous.......who do I leave at home?

I

Ian

Leave the lad at home Doug, needs to be a few years older IMO before he's around guns. You'd never forgive yourself if something happened, you don't need any distractions whilst holding a shot gun.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
leave them both at home and have a day to yourself mate, we all need one of those now and again..:thumbsup:

Last edited:

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Just take the wife and have pot shots at her - you never know :lol:

I

ifindoubtgrout

took my lad ferrerting today he loves it we managed to get 2, one had mixi so left it for the birds, enjoy yourself mate we all deserve a day out now and then.

D

Dougs Third Go

AS above ! good advice Bri :thumbsup: or even leave them both :thumbsup: the dog isn't really trained enough is he m8.......?
she's only unsteady on fur Dave, ie hares and deer. I can get her to sit in the middle of a field and walk maybe 200 metres before I give her the recall whistle, so that's not a problem, plus closer proximity to the guns is the next step in her training to "mark, hunt, pick-up and retrieve" so I need to know 100% that she's not gonna be gunshy, (had her up to about 20yds of guns now and still showing no signs of being gunshy). My lad though has been out in all weathers with me this season beating and I really don't want to discourage him by saying "not today son". Safety will be top priority,, so I guess I'll probably take them both along with a screw in tether for dog and re-assess after first couple of flushes:thumbsup:

peteablard

TF
Arms
Reaction score
she's only unsteady on fur Dave, ie hares and deer. I can get her to sit in the middle of a field and walk maybe 200 metres before I give her the recall whistle, so that's not a problem, plus closer proximity to the guns is the next step in her training to "mark, hunt, pick-up and retrieve" so I need to know 100% that she's not gonna be gunshy, (had her up to about 20yds of guns now and still showing no signs of being gunshy). My lad though has been out in all weathers with me this season beating and I really don't want to discourage him by saying "not today son". Safety will be top priority,, so I guess I'll probably take them both along with a screw in tether for dog and re-assess after first couple of flushes:thumbsup:

i've got a working cocker spaniel that's afraid of the kids nerf gun, glad I never intended on working him:lol:

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
I think it's a choice only you can make, you know how ready or not both will or should be, has your Son heard a 12 bore before ? As has been said, and you of all people know, safety first, one distraction would be hard enough for me let alone two.

Tough call but I know which one of the two I would have to leave at home.

Reply to Beaters Day on saturday in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen