Search the forum,

Discuss They just Don't listen in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

W

White Room

Doing some work for a builder but the customer is supplying the materials.
The customer went to a tile supplier who recomended bal adhesive, white star, fast flex and super flex grout. The tiles on the walls 400x 250 ceramic, 300x300 porcelain on the floor with ufh. Phoned the builder and explained that I wanted powdered addy for the walls and a spf for the floor and I would supply the slc for the ufh, told the ( the customer)he needed tanking around the shower and what was required, did'nt go for it.
Turned up tuesday, white star for the walls, no units fixed in the shower room for the sink etc. The guy took the total advise from the shop, my advise meant diddly squit. The wall tiles are bowed slightly as well.
Anyway find out today the customer is off on holiday early friday morning for a week, the builder is away for two weeks after the customer comes back, so no more there at the moment.
No ufh yet laid yet either, OH I'll probably run out of tiles tomorrow:mad2:

The amazing thing about the tanking is they had a leak through the tiles in the same room (which the tiles have been removed and replastered)which went through the wall and caused damage to the other side.

What does the customer do for a living, he does landscaping and some small building work as well, so why does he uses another builder:mad2:

Not even going to mention the wet room downstairs.:mad2:

Bad hair day:smilewinkgrin:

F

faithhealer

asked to quote for a slate floor, where the customer wants to supply all the materials, why? (buying cheap obviously) before I go and quote I've already told then I won't use cheap addy etc

Last edited by a moderator:
B

brian c

strange one ..but hey you are just sticking them to the wall..i mean anyone can do that right?some people have no idea Mark :prrr:

W

White Room

They seem to think their saving money, it's just getting them to understand what is really needed for the job

S

sWe

I don't get it; why are some people who've had leaks so short sighted? If they let the tiler waterproof properly, they won't have water damage again. Surely repairing water damgage is more expensive than a one off tanking kit. FFS, and the git didn't buy enough tiles either?

Tbh, whenever the going is slow when I'm studying, I log on here, read posts like this, and instantly I feel more motivated to go another round vs. my physics assignments :smilewinkgrin:

Thx for sharing :thumbsup:

R

Rob Z

:mad2:

This reminds me of a job I went to look at about 10 years ago.

They wanted their kitchen remodeled, and also wanted tile on the floor. I looked at the framing below and everything seemed like it would work for tile. We started talking when I came back up from the basement. The owner says "my neighbor has the same model of house that I have, and all his tile is cracking".

I said "I don't know the specifics of how his tile was installed, but from what I can see downstairs we can definately install tile here, using apprpriate materials and methods, and you won't have any problems."

Customer: " yeah, but my neighbor had problems, and he has the same model of house."

Repeat discussion about three times, then finally I say "So why did you call me here to look at this if you are already convinced that we can't install tille on the floor?"

He said: " I thought you would be able to think of something to make it work".

I said: "What do you think I have been explaining to you for the last 2o minutes?"

He said: "Yeah, I don't know what any of that stuff is, but I wanted you to tell me how you would install the tile and make it work."

I realized this guy was an idiot, thanked him and left.

Reply to They just Don't listen in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen