• Thread starter Spare Tool
  • Start date
  • Replies 15
  • Views 2K
Search the forum,

Discuss Puzzle in the General Off-topic Chat (nothing tile) area at TilersForums.com.

S

Spare Tool

Saw this puzzle on Columbo :) they were talking about bags of gold coins but thought id try n make it relevant to forum cuz I'm sad like that :)
So I've got ten pallets of genuine Italian porcelain tiles, 20 tiles on each pallet, all look identical BUT one pallet is a Turkish fake copy, and its that good only one way of telling the fake is by the weight of the individual tiles.
The genuine tiles weigh 1kilo each tile
The fake tiles weigh 1 kilo and 1 gram each tile..
I have only one penny for the scales to give one weight reading only...how do I work out which is the fake pallet of tiles?
No prizes but Columbo solved it ;)

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
You take 1 tile from 1st pallet, 2 from 2nd, 3 from 3rd and so on. You put them all on the scales and take the weight reading, if the reading for example is x kg and 14 grams you know that the 14th pallet is the fake one, and I didn't see that episode either :p

S

Spare Tool

You take 1 tile from 1st pallet, 2 from 2nd, 3 from 3rd and so on. You put them all on the scales and take the weight reading, if the reading for example is x kg and 14 grams you know that the 14th pallet is the fake one, and I didn't see that episode either :p
BOOM!!! Well you could have let it run a bit ;) but well worked out if you really didn't see it...nice one John

End of thread :)

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
BOOM!!! Well you could have let it run a bit ;) but well worked out if you really didn't see it...nice one John

End of thread :)

Could have done but I'm up early in morning, wish I could work out how many tiles I need on jobs so easily :rolleyes:

Reply to Puzzle in the General Off-topic Chat (nothing tile) area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen