Search the forum,

Discuss Mixed batches.... opinion please in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

trevor1980

I've sold thousands of tiles when I used to work for a tile shop and sometimes loading up mixed batches was something we had to do and just hoped we didn't get the complaint 2 weeks later... some tilers don't help by sending their customers out to try and buy tiles off the shelf the day before they need them... If I turn up to tile a room now I check all boxes for the shade numbers...if there's more than 1 shade Id work out if i can use them on different walls or on window seals etc... id only complain to the shop as last resort but i do sympathise with the retailer as i know how hard it is.

Reaction score
Batches are the curse of the tiling world!
If your selling anything other than a single batch then the customer must be notified and told, before they purchase. I would loose a lot of custom if I did anything else. That said, I sell top end, top price tiles and my customers expect the best.
If a couple of boxes have to be skipped due to there being no more of that batch left then so be it. However, this will depend on different companies profit margins no doubt.

Although I appreciate that once purchased, the supplier is not responsible for what's done with there sold product by law, in real life this doesn't work in the tiling industry. Although the tiling store is under no legal obligation to re-in burse the customer if said tiles are already fitted, you just get a bad name and reputation.

Reaction score
My worst problem is customers refusing to take a decent percentage extra for cuts and then coming back a month later requiring some more,(when there is none). They then complain much but what can I do. I always suggest that they take more and return unused boxes for refunds but they seem to think its sheer profiteering sometimes.
This is private customers mind, not pro tillers.

Pro tillers have asked me to sell 15% extra for cuts to ensure that they have more than enough to finish the job in one batch which seems sensible.

I understand that if I were to sell several batches that I would not be responsible for the labour/adhesive that would go into the fixing of the problem however, in the real world I'd loose custom, which is not good!

I personally always sell one batch unless arranged otherwise with the customer. It's just not worth the hassle and loss of business.

T

trevor1980

as a seller we used to be told add on 10%.... as an installer id say add on 20%... u lose so much

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

Batches are the curse of the tiling world!
If your selling anything other than a single batch then the customer must be notified and told, before they purchase. I would loose a lot of custom if I did anything else. That said, I sell top end, top price tiles and my customers expect the best.
If a couple of boxes have to be skipped due to there being no more of that batch left then so be it. However, this will depend on different companies profit margins no doubt.

Although I appreciate that once purchased, the supplier is not responsible for what's done with there sold product by law, in real life this doesn't work in the tiling industry. Although the tiling store is under no legal obligation to re-in burse the customer if said tiles are already fitted, you just get a bad name and reputation.
wrong in so many ways what you sell is always has to be fit for purpose what you say here is just anther reason to blame the tiler and walk away .in a court of law.its selers duty to sell you what you paid for .so any time you challage this you will win .as what you sold was not fit for porpose as it did not match what you paid for .two diffrent batches shows in law failure on your part.a duty of care .every time you challenge this you will win in court .stand up and put them in there place .it will never get to court as they already no this .but think you are a simple tiler and will back down .they have a care of duty to make sure your order is all from one batch and dont let them tell you its your fault .you never deliverd the tiles or got paid for them .its there duty to check there wharehouse not your .so next time send them a bill for you time wasted with 7 days to pay then proceed to a small claims court they wont turn up the cost will be to great .you win every tiler that wins will stop this lets sell any old sht and let the tiler pay for it .stand up and be counted once you have done the paper work once the next time it like turning on a money making machine claim for every think you can think of .time is money make them pay and clean up there act

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

My worst problem is customers refusing to take a decent percentage extra for cuts and then coming back a month later requiring some more,(when there is none). They then complain much but what can I do. I always suggest that they take more and return unused boxes for refunds but they seem to think its sheer profiteering sometimes.
This is private customers mind, not pro tillers.

Pro tillers have asked me to sell 15% extra for cuts to ensure that they have more than enough to finish the job in one batch which seems sensible.

I understand that if I were to sell several batches that I would not be responsible for the labour/adhesive that would go into the fixing of the problem however, in the real world I'd loose custom, which is not good!

I personally always sell one batch unless arranged otherwise with the customer. It's just not worth the hassle and loss of business.
ok here we go so what the most important question you ask when tiling walls in a bathroom ?

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Calm down lads.

Help the Original Poster or make your own threads. Speaking to everybody there. (It's hard dealing with so many passionate people I must be honest).

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I agree with ray........don't care what's written on there terms and conditions about excepting liability once tiles are fixed ....the fact they sold a product that's not fit for purpose cancel there t/c.

If you looked into it in detail ...the shading of a tile can happen when all the batch numbers are the same.....In this instance the t/c would apply... if they sell you different batches then Imo they wouldn't have a leg to stand on wether there fixed or not..

Reaction score
I would say that a good tile distributor/shop should check the batches before the tiles leave there premises however, the tile fixer should also check that what has been purchased is correct before fixing them.
If the purchased tiles were incorrect(different batches etc.) ,then the purchaser is entitled to a refund of these tiles.
The tile shop is not however, responsible for what was done with these incorrectly sold tiles. They may however, wish to help rectify the problem to keep a good customer

All the above said, in my experience, once a problem gets down to quoting law and consumer rights ect, then I have lost that customer. So I tend not to get into these issues like this as it's often non productive. I prefer a negotiate and meet in the middle tactic :)

S

Simon benn Leeds

Send me wrong batches you won't have my business again!. Nor will I send clients to the showroom.

Don't think you deserve my money if you can't be bothered to check that what your sending is correct.

That goes for any company.

Reply to Mixed batches.... opinion please in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen