Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss hand problems in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

d noulton

just wondering if any one has any suggestions
tiling for ten years now hands have never been so bad skin flaking itching hands swollen and very red &sore skin opening up and bleeding can't grip anything the list goes on
see a doctor a couple of weeks ago prescribed two creams & sterooids no change probably worse please don't say go back to the doctors as I don;t think they know what there doing been wearing cotton gloves with latex gloves on top don;t really help as it makes hands sweat
was lead to beleve by my local supplier that any skin irritants were to be removed under a eu order being self employed is not helping as I need to continue working :furious3::mad2:

G

grumpygrouter

Sounds to me like you have a severe case of contact dermatitis. No other way to get rid of than stopping what you are doing, applying medication and waiting until it clears up. I am ex RAF and I have seen what can happen if this problem is not treated seriously. I saw someone stretchered on to a plane because his skin was so sore he couldn't walk without pain. This was caused by contact with aviation fuel which is nothing more than paraffin.

Go back to the docs and see what he has to say. Treat it with respect or you could be permanently disabled.:thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
D

d noulton

thanks for the advise Grumpy, do you mean give up tiling altogther or just till it clears up? Do not want to give up only job I have enjoyed doing.

S

Spud

it sounds like you have dermatitus caused by chromium vi in the cement based tile adhesive and grout ,the eu passed a directive 2-3 years ago that the adhesive manufacturers must put limiters in the adhesive to control the amount of chromium vi as it causes severe damage to the human body not just dermatitus but nasal cancer and other conditions chrominuim vi is a waste product of lots of industrial proceeses ,some of the fine agregates in tile adhesive are ashes from incinerators and the eu pay for this waste to be taken by the adhesive manufactuers i have heard that if you use barrier cream and try pvc gloves rather than laytex ones this may help your condition i have also found that certain adhesives are better than others for this problem always check the use by date on the adhesive bags as the limiters for chromium vi degrade after time and are not as effective hope this post helps

G

grumpygrouter

It should clear up given time and medication. When you can get back to the tools, make sure you use a really good barrier cream and rubber gloves. I do all the time now and I have no problems whatsoever.

I use something called Gloves in a Bottle as a barrier lotion and marigold medium duty gloves. I always try to take off the gloves every hour or so to let my hands and the gloves dry and my hands are really as smooth as a baby's bum.

When I first started, I had lots of issues with drying and cracked skin. it is not an issue now.

S

sWe

I'll sign what the previous posters have already said: Probably, the chromium caused it, and it should clear up with meds and creams, supposing you don't expose yourself to chromium and other irritants during the healing period.

Be careful with the steroid creams; they can make your skin permanently thinner if you use too much, too often. I should know, because I've had eczema all my life, and I've used pretty much every skin product the health care establishment in Sweden can offer.

Investigate if you can get light treatment for your hands. When my eczema was at it's worst, I had to take searing hots baths (50-60degrees c) with strong salts in the water (turned the water purple, and me brown), after which I was put in a solarium with strong UV-b bulbs. Made the blisters and soars dry out and heal, in combination with steroid and softening creams. Real ***** to go through with, and it stings like hell, but it helped.

As the others have already said; When it's cleared up, use protective creams and gloves (just make sure they are breathable, like gloves made from Microthan). Buy several pairs and wash them often. Wash your working clothes fairly often as well, because the rashes and soars can spread to other parts of your body if they're also exposed once your body's tolerance level has been exceeded.

Also, make sure the adhesives and grouts you use haven't been stocked for more than a year, because the chromium in most adhesives and grouts are more or less bound by a compound which deteriorates after about a year.

Stay away from solvants and strong detergents, because they wreack havoc once your skin has become susceptible to irritants.

Good luck with the healing. If you want more advice on proper skin care and pre-emptive measures, send me a PM.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

d noulton

going to Turkey for holiday in 6 weeks will now makw use of the turkish baths and salt water and mud baths...thanks for everyones replies:yes:

B

Benny

Mate if your looking for quick relief, soak your hands in sudocream (used for nappy rash) at night put a pair of rubber surgical type gloves on and sleep in them, next morning hands will feel like new, Iam no doctor and it sounds a bit odd but it works for me :thumbsup:

O

Olz

Aqeous Cream is excellent, best i've tried, i used to handle microfibre loft insulations which used to dry my hands and make them itchy and flakey, tried allsorts of potions and lotions, this was the only one that worked, and it was very quick as well, plus it's a no frills moisturiser, no fancy packaging, advertising etc, just a white tub with the name on it so it's dirt cheap for a large tub, you can buy it from most high street stores like boots, superdrug etc.

Wont replace the OP's steroid creams but once you've got it sorted its great as a preventative.

T

Tom Martin

Sounds to me like you have a severe case of contact dermatitis. No other way to get rid of than stopping what you are doing, applying medication and waiting until it clears up. I am ex RAF and I have seen what can happen if this problem is not treated seriously. I saw someone stretchered on to a plane because his skin was so sore he couldn't walk without pain. This was caused by contact with aviation fuel which is nothing more than paraffin.

Go back to the docs and see what he has to say. Treat it with respect or you could be permanently disabled.:thumbsup:

Scary rubbish.. never thought about it for 10 years that all the chemicals and rubbish on my hand s and breathing could cause damage. Just thought I was invincible.. now I look back and think of other people in nice clean offices and think oh rubbish what have I done.. breathing silica dust and bare hands scooping adhesive d wearing finger tips down

Reply to hand problems in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
laattaana
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks