Discuss dispute and non payment from customer in the Business Advice, Tilers Van Insurance etc area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
HI
Ive just completed 2 bathrooms for a customer and they have not paid me . After several messages and calls they are now ignoring me . The last message i had said they have an issue with one of the walls . However they wont answer my calls and messages to say I'm happy to take a look and rectify anything.
I've since found out they haven't paid a number of contractors and are clearly 'pulling a fast one'.
I supplied all the materials for this job at a cost of nearly £500 too which is annoying !
anyone any advice as to how i can claw back any of the money?
the law dosent appear to be in favour of the self employed sole trader.

Martyn

-
Reaction score
small claims? you can prove work/costs, they state there is an issue but refuse to let you fix it? They are probably just talking BS, do it asap, get the ball rolling.

Hobnob

-
Reaction score
I’ve used the online money claims service (I think you can find it on the gov.uk website) a couple of times. It is very easy and in both cases I was awarded the costs and my expenses, I even got a days wages for attending court 😂

Kastar UK

Arms
Reaction score
Hi
If a customer has issues with the work and witholds payment they must serve you with a notice of intent , giving you opportunity to rectify any defects

To win in court you must follow a procedure , Formal request for payment , reminder , final letter serving the dodger with a notice of intent informing them that you intend to begin small claims after this date
Another bit of advice because is a numbers game , work for enough people you meet idiots , get 70% of your money up front or walk away , as trademen we have nothing to prove to anyone

Last edited:
Reaction score
If you can identify the other traders that haven’t been paid it indicates a deliberate action by the customer ( an act of dishonesty and therefore criminal) rather than them being able to claim a dispute over quality of work (which would be a civil matter) . If you can make a case that they
Have dishonesty employed you, with the intention of never paying, then you should report it to the police. Identity the other traders and build a case together. If that doesn’t work then small claims for a civil litigation . Good luck. Keep all the evidence of your contract with the customer. Record your conversations on your smart phone and keep your cool!

Reply to dispute and non payment from customer in the Business Advice, Tilers Van Insurance etc area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks