Search the forum,

Discuss Is this cheap Vitrex Tile saw any good? in the Tiling Tools | Tile Cutters, Trowels area at TilersForums.com.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
For what you want it for the cheap cutter will be good enough. Ceramics and Travertine should not be a problem. I hardly use a wet cutter these days. However I had to use one last week to cut out for an electrical socket very close to the edge of a porcelain tile.

I normally use battery angle grinder with an ATS blade. The tile is normally resting on a bucket, but for difficult cuts I try and cut on grass (less vibration).

Reaction score
I can cut a tile straighter freehand, using an angle grinder, than with a table top wet saw. Buy a few extra tiles, and practice cutting straight. With a good quality diamond blade, there will be a straight clean cut. Downside with an angle grinder is the dust. The upside is, it can be used for a lot of non-tiling work too.

O

One Day

Without being funny, why spend SO long looking at cheap tile saws? If it was 1000 pounds plus, i can understand, but surely your time is worth far more than 30 or 40 quid?!
Or am i just too impulsive when i make a purchase?!

W

wau5

Without being funny, why spend SO long looking at cheap tile saws? If it was 1000 pounds plus, i can understand, but surely your time is worth far more than 30 or 40 quid?!
Or am i just too impulsive when i make a purchase?!

probably too impulsive ;) but anyway, If I don't do research and buy the first thing that shows up, I Always regret it and have to waste even more time buying something else + all the frustration :D

W

wau5

Well I tried to use my newly bought saw... Quick review- UTTER GARBAGE Cheap Chinese Pokemon Toy!

-This thing should NOT be sold, why are they even wasting earths resources making such thing.
-weighs nothing, so it slides around and you can't cut anything with it, there's no holes/no way to fix it to a table or screw it down, had to pile tiles around it to keep it in position
-the ''fence'' is laughable, it bends /twists like crazy , there's no real precise way for it to be adjusted at 90degree angle
-It DOES NOT cuts straight, due to bad fence as it twists and makes the cuts uneven.
-the guard is too large so you can't see anything under it and it's a trouble to even cut in freehand.
-Water god damn everywhere...you need to wear a wetsuit ( Ok This is wetsaw and I might forgive it that, but still the bad guard soaks you wet with a fine mist directed at you.)
-I have done about 25-30 cuts so far (just on scrap tiles on practice), I'm yet to cut a tile where it doesnt tears out huge chunk at the end, Not a single tile I was able to cut without chipping it at end badly.
-already got bleeding arm from a flying shard from this utter garbage.
-the size of this thing is laughable,its suited to cut MAYBE 20x20cm tiles, for anything rest..good luck!
-the base/table of it is also pretty terrible
-the on/off switch is in weird place so if you would need to switch it off asap at one moment- you wouldn't be able to find where the switch is.

I really don't think I have one single positive thing to say about this junk, ok maybe you could take its motor/ make new base for it/make new fence, add some bulk to it and clamp it down to a table and now you might have an ok'ish saw.

OKSSirM.jpg

B

Bill

Well I tried to use my newly bought saw... Quick review- UTTER GARBAGE Cheap Chinese Pokemon Toy!

-This thing should NOT be sold, why are they even wasting earths resources making such thing.
-weighs nothing, so it slides around and you can't cut anything with it, there's no holes/no way to fix it to a table or screw it down, had to pile tiles around it to keep it in position
-the ''fence'' is laughable, it bends /twists like crazy , there's no real precise way for it to be adjusted at 90degree angle
-It DOES NOT cuts straight, due to bad fence as it twists and makes the cuts uneven.
-the guard is too large so you can't see anything under it and it's a trouble to even cut in freehand.
-Water god damn everywhere...you need to wear a wetsuit ( Ok This is wetsaw and I might forgive it that, but still the bad guard soaks you wet with a fine mist directed at you.)
-I have done about 25-30 cuts so far (just on scrap tiles on practice), I'm yet to cut a tile where it doesnt tears out huge chunk at the end, Not a single tile I was able to cut without chipping it at end badly.
-already got bleeding arm from a flying shard from this utter garbage.
-the size of this thing is laughable,its suited to cut MAYBE 20x20cm tiles, for anything rest..good luck!
-the base/table of it is also pretty terrible
-the on/off switch is in weird place so if you would need to switch it off asap at one moment- you wouldn't be able to find where the switch is.

I really don't think I have one single positive thing to say about this junk, ok maybe you could take its motor/ make new base for it/make new fence, add some bulk to it and clamp it down to a table and now you might have an ok'ish saw.

OKSSirM.jpg
User error.

Mine cuts straight, the blade guard is fine, I don't get wet when I use one.

Now if you had asked me earlier how I use mine then you wouldn't be in a pickle like you are now.

Reaction score
Some advice on wet saws.
1. Give yourself every opportunity to get good results - spend out on a high quality diamond blade.
2. Make sure there is always plenty of water feeding onto the blade - insufficient water makes the blade jam.
3. Don't force the cut, allow the blade to move at its own pace, if the saw moves as you cut you might be forcing it too much.
4. Keep the cutter at table height - use a workbench to stand it on. If it moves too much, clamp wood behind to stop movement. It's called a "table saw" for a reason!
5. Most of us only ever use a wet saw outdoors, or if used indoors, put a container under the table to catch the water and often a tarpaulin to stop the floor getting too wet. Some saws are better than others at preventing splash back.
6. Blade guards are often annoying. The better quality cutters are better, but not perfect. Practice is the key.
7. I don't find straight cutting guides helpful. Try practicing getting your line of sight (line of blade matching cut line) right.
8. Water tends to wash away pencil marks. Try scoring cut with manual cutter, then gently running pencil or felt tip pen along line to highlight cut.
9. Tiling is messy work. Wear old clothes that you expect to get wet and covered in cement.
10. There is a saying that it takes 10,000 hours experience to become skilled at something. If you are doing this as Diy, expect lots of frustrations, but persevere and be proud of what you achieve. But if everyone could achieve our standards of tiling after a few hours - we would quickly be out of work!

Reply to Is this cheap Vitrex Tile saw any good? in the Tiling Tools | Tile Cutters, Trowels area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tiling Tools

Find the cheapest price for both professional and DIY wall and floor tiling tools in the UK. Brands such as Rubi, Genesis, Fein, Karl Dahm, isomat, Schluter, Tilemaster and more.

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen