Search the forum,

Discuss Who can identify the problem here? Crazy paving tiling - dodgy subfloor? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Following some cracked grout and then cracked tiles, I've lifted a couple of tiles in my bathroom this morning to find what you can see in the photos.

I'd like to re-lay replacement tiles but with the subsurface you can see, I'm not sure it's a good idea. The light blue you can see is like a hard foam. The dark blue is more like a hard plastic. Below this is some underfloor heating. Can you give me some advice on how to proceed? Can I just re-lay or is this a cowboy job and do I need to get this up and lay a new subfloor (something I really don't have the time or money to do).

If I can re-lay, I guess I'd need to take the adhesive up, which is going to bring the foam up. Do I replace it? If so, what is it? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide, tiling community.
IMG_20181013_092612.jpg
IMG_20181013_092612.jpg
IMG_20181013_092624.jpg
IMG_20181013_093646.jpg

@Localtiler After a bit more archaeology, the dark blue is the plastic cover of the underfloor heating element. In this photo, you can see that some of the cracks follow the loops of the element. And yes, there is a crack under the board too. Good spot.Without pulling it up, I can't see if it's extensive or not. What's your diagnosis?

@hmtiling yes, most of the grouting is now cracked. Is it usual to set the ufh within the adhesive like this?

IMG_20181013_134456.jpg

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
@Localtiler After a bit more archaeology, the dark blue is the plastic cover of the underfloor heating element. In this photo, you can see that some of the cracks follow the loops of the element. And yes, there is a crack under the board too. Good spot.Without pulling it up, I can't see if it's extensive or not. What's your diagnosis?

@hmtiling yes, most of the grouting is now cracked. Is it usual to set the ufh within the adhesive like this?

View attachment 101555
Shower tray/screen leaking as well

Reply to Who can identify the problem here? Crazy paving tiling - dodgy subfloor? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
I've got an AKW Tuff form shower tray with a waste that is 10mm above the tray when fully screwed in. The Tiler laid my 5mm hex mosaic tiles on a 2mm bed, so obvs wasn't going to drain. I took...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for advice on fixing a few problems that a professional left me with. He of course has not responded to...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is 4.5m x 1.8m. The top third of the room is totally level. The remainder of the room has a slope...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

Birthdays