Currently reading:
which flex adh...?

Discuss which flex adh...? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

mc497

Hi, Im just about to tile a bathroom floor, but if anyone could give some advice that would be gr8.

Basically my questions are 1. What is the minimum thickness of ply would you
recommend in your experience.
2. I have some standard rapid set adhesive and grout
left over from previously along with unibond flexible
additive, can I get away with this or should I play
safe and stick with the recommended bagged flexi
stuff. And which one is best.
3. The tiles going down are the straight sided ones
that look as if there are no grout lines.
Should there always be grout lines between tiles,
I thought there should be but customer says no.
And finally is there a minimum width of grout lines
where tiling in wooden floors is concerned.

If anyone could share some advice I would be very grateful....! cheers anyone.

G

grumpygrouter

Unless the tiles have built in spacers, you should always have grout lines. These give you not only moisture protection but also a movement joint as such. Using flexi grout on wooden floors is essential along with GOOD flexi adhesive.

BS quote a minimum of 18mm external grade ply for overboarding along with minimum 3mm grout lines on floors.

It is possible to "get away" with not boarding out but it depends entirely how much movement is in the floor and what it is made of.

BAL Fastflex (2 part mix) was designed to go straight onto T&G flooring and floor boards but it is not the easiest stuff to use, I find.

Ardex also do stuff called 7001 which is mixed with water (single part) and is very good but needs the correct prep again.

Another alternative can be cement based backer boards but as yet I have no experience of these on floors.

Hope this helps.

Grumpy

C

CLAYS TILES

Hi, Im just about to tile a bathroom floor, but if anyone could give some advice that would be gr8.

Basically my questions are 1. What is the minimum thickness of ply would you
recommend in your experience.hardi backer boards 12mm
2. I have some standard rapid set adhesive and grout
left over from previously along with unibond flexible
additive, can I get away with this or should I play
safe and stick with the recommended bagged flexi
stuff. And which one is best.flexi rapid set on floor boards
3. The tiles going down are the straight sided ones
that look as if there are no grout lines.
Should there always be grout lines between tiles,yes, for movement!
I thought there should be but customer says no.
And finally is there a minimum width of grout lines
where tiling in wooden floors is concerned.3mm up should be fine!

If anyone could share some advice I would be very grateful....! cheers anyone.
hope this helps m8

Reply to which flex adh...? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I'm hoping you can help with some feedback, please My parents are currently having a new bathroom installed, all stripped back to bare walls and floor. The fitter has done/hasn't done...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for tiling.I have removed the floor boards and plan to lay 18mm WBP plywood.The question is, what...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in preparation for tiling. A couple of days after there's a lot of very fine cracks which have appeared, you...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.