Currently reading:
Wall tiles on or behind skirting?

Discuss Wall tiles on or behind skirting? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

Concept PHT

Hi there...

It depends on whether you are going to tile your floor too. If so, then tile to the floor and grout/silicone the wall/floor joint. No need for skirting boards then, and looks very sharp and modern. If you are not tiling your floor, then go for the tiles on top of your skirting.

Measure your tiles to the wall and try and get the fullest cut (if not full tile) from the skirting board upwards.

All the best :)

T

T & P

APM's right about tiling down to the floor but if you want to keep the skirting board then putting the skirting board on top of the tiles means that you keep the full profile of the skirting which looks much better. Having said that if I was doing a tiling job for someone else then I would leave the skirting board on easier and quicker to finish the job. But my house? Well I don't go for the quickest & easy option I go for what looks best.

L

LennyW

Thanks for the advice everyone. In the end, I tiled down to the floor - which wasn't tiled - and put the skirting over it. It looks good, particularly (as Cooperman pointed out) this way, you retain the full profile of the skirting, the top of which was half way up the the bottom tile - pure luck. I would imagine if you got a horizontal grout line near to the the top of the skirting it wouldn't look so good.
I overcame the butting up to the door frame problem by making sure the architrave was of sufficient thickness.

U

Unsuretiler

Thanks for the advice everyone. In the end, I tiled down to the floor - which wasn't tiled - and put the skirting over it. It looks good, particularly (as Cooperman pointed out) this way, you retain the full profile of the skirting, the top of which was half way up the the bottom tile - pure luck. I would imagine if you got a horizontal grout line near to the the top of the skirting it wouldn't look so good.
I overcame the butting up to the door frame problem by making sure the architrave was of sufficient thickness.

Have you any photographs??

Reply to Wall tiles on or behind skirting? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I'm hoping you can help with some feedback, please My parents are currently having a new bathroom installed, all stripped back to bare walls and floor. The fitter has done/hasn't done...
Replies
Views
Hi, long time lurker, first time poster. Over the years I've used the good advice that I've read on this forum but with my current project I am a bit stumped. I am renovating an ensuite, it's...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am a noob trying to tile our shower. Since the old tiles were taken off, some of that wall material has been taken off as well, so everything had to be smoothed. After smoothing with some...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I am planning to tile a full height panel of split face tiles to sit 3” behind a log burner on a plaster render on blockwork wall. I’m planning to score and scrape the paint off the...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.