Currently reading:
Tiling onto plywood

Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling onto plywood in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

OK, I said I tended to make slow progress but here are some photos as requested by Daz (that'll teach you!).

Just to recap, the walls are 18mm wbp ply on a close studded 4x2 frame and screwed at about 10-inch centres (closer around the edges). I used a Mapei waterproofing kit and applied three coats. I then fixed the tiles with Mapei Keraflex as recommended by Mapei's technical helpline.

I cut the holes using 365drills diamond holesaws. A bit expensive for a DIYer as I doubt I'll ever use them very much again, but they certainly made an easy and neat job of the holes.

I hope the pros don't fall about laughing too much . . . .

shower6.jpg shower1.jpg shower2.jpg shower3.jpg shower4.jpg shower5.jpg

So, my next obvious question is about the grouting.

What is the latest and greatest in grouting that will not discolour and harbour mould?

I've read about epoxy grouts but the thought of trying to neatly apply "araldite" between tiles seems a bit alarming. :lol:

OK, I'm sure it can't really be like that but, seriously, is epoxy grout something worth considering or would the modern 'wipe-it-in-wipe-it-off' grouting be just as good these days?

For the grout have a look at the bal microban grouts. You don't need to worry about using an epoxy they are really best for food preparation areas. Because you have tanked the area then you don't need a waterproof grout.

Thanks for that. I'm thinking more about mould and general dirt-resistance than waterproofing.

My thinking is that 'normal' grouts will absorb some water (and dirt?) and therefore promote mould growth. I understand modern grouts contain mould inhibitors but does this last forever or just put off the inevitable grubbiness for a few years?

It has always semed to me that grout is the weakest link with tiling and can quickly spoil a nice job, so I was just wondering what the professionals use these days.

I spoke to a builder friend yesterday and asked him about epoxy grout. He suggested it would be beyond my DIY skills to manage a neat job. :lol:

So I reckon I'll be using bal microban grout.

Meanwhile, just to show I don't always listen to reason, I decided to tile the shower ceiling anyway. :yikes:

I figured that if they started to fall off, they would just match the shambles that is the rest of the house. It's surprising how relaxed you can eventually get about windows where the original wood lintels have crumbled to dust, cracks in the walls and doors with such wide gaps that toads find their way into the kitchen overnight.

ceilingtiles.JPG

I thought people might be interested in an update. The shower I described earlier has now been in daily use for almost two years and seems to be fine. No leaks, no signs of cracking and even the tiles on the ceiling are still stuck solid. Time will tell of course, so fingers crossed for the next 10 years. I took this photo this morning:

Sorry about the orientation - couldn't seem to rotate it, or delete the second attempt!

Attachments

• Shower(427x640).jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 46
  • Shower(427x640).jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

Reply to Tiling onto plywood in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.