Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling onto Ply, can it be a success? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Hi,

I've been doing alot of research prior to tiling the ground floor of my home, approx 40m2. The structural floor is 18mm Ply and after reading all the horror stories of failed floors I am getting nervous on whether I am looking at failure before I start! I can't find anywhere online a successful tile on ply job, So ... Can it be done?

The floor construction is 4x2 joists, spaced at 400mm centres, levelled and fixed. I have already installed underloor heating, 70mm celotex between joists and 30mm anhydrite screed level with the top of the joists. Then overboarded with 18mm Ply. Ply has been sealed on the underside and edges with SBR and glued and screwed every 150mm with joints finishing on the joists. The biggest room span is 3m and is supported halfway by a small supporting wall, So joists only span 1.5m.

The floor is flat (no more than 3mm over 2m) and very solid. There is no deflection in the floor except 1 board edge about 2ft will move down 2mm if pressed hard (Screed must not of been perfectly level and so left a 2mm void between the screed and ply), I plan to fix this but unsure how? The rest of the floor is very stable with no movement.

I have bought Ditra and Ardex Af200 to bond to ply (3mm V notch trowel) .. then tile 600 x 600 rectified porcelain tile with Ultimate S2 adhesive, 20mm x 10mm round notch trowel, 3mm grout line, Lash levelling clips, and grout with BAL Superflex wide joint with GT1 Admix.

The underfloor heating has been in 1 year already, screed was left 1 month before ply, commissioned correctly and is the heating is working perfectly. I plan to turn it off 48 hours before starting anything.

So my question is, is there anything else I could possibly do to prevent failure? After reading online I'm almost at the point of putting down engineered oak onstead of tiles.

Has anyone successfully tiled on Ply with ufh that has lasted?

Thanks, Adam.

O

Old Mod

Hi and welcome to the forum Adam.

Yes, return the Ultimate adhesive, it’s an S2 class and not suitable for use on Ditra according to Schluter, your guarantees would be void.
Obtain an S1 class instead, this is approved.
If the store sells ultimate, my guess is they sell Sataflex, exchange it for that, don’t forget your refund, it should be considerable.
Get white or grey adhesive whichever is closest to your grout colour.
It sounds like you’ve researched fairly well.

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Uk
I have seen this twice before, there was a poly layer between joists and ply for moisture.
But maybe that was one because the finished floor was timber, can’t remember but worth checking.

Why not stick and screw 6mm Hardie backer to the floor before tiling instead of the Ditra.

J

J Sid

my main concern is is the floor under the ply completely dry!
this is what will happen if you trap moisture under Ditra onto ply.
WP_20130418_003 (2).jpg

I have read a lot of conflicting opinions on using S2 over Ditra. I decided to go with Ultimate S2 as I read US and UK specs are different and S2 is suitable according to UK spec.

I did think the screed was anhydrite but from a quick Google search it seems it's not. It is a dry mix with fibre glass reinforcement and was shovelled in and packed in between joists and compressed.

The heating works perfectly, UFH manifold flow temp set at 50 degrees, the house is warm and our living has laminate which is warm to touch. Takes around 1 hour to heat up to temperature.

I also chose a 3mm V notch as this is what is specified by Ardex, should I go larger notch? I may need another tub if so.

Thanks for the replies.

O

Old Mod

I have read a lot of conflicting opinions on using S2 over Ditra. I decided to go with Ultimate S2 as I read US and UK specs are different and S2 is suitable according to UK spec.

I’m afraid you are mistaken. An S2 adhesive is NOT suitable if you follow schluters guideline.
They WILL NOT honour any guarantees.

O

Old Mod

Ah, you live and learn.
Get yourself on schluters wet room course.
It’s free if you’re tradesman on the forum.
Go to their website and look under the training sections.
It’s in the Leicester area, crikey, just up road from you! Haha
No excuses, you don’t have one.
You won’t regret it.

O

Old Mod

So ... unfortunately I can't take the Ultimate S2 back. I understand using this could result in a failed floor. But what's the chances? ..

Is it worth the risk?

What’s your reasoning for wanting to continue to use it Adam?
It’ll be difficult for you to use.
You’ll be throwing away a substantial refund, and if it fails it’ll cost you double.
It’s the wrong adhesive according to Schluter.

I personally find it difficult to argue against.

If the store recommended the adhesive, it’ll be obliged to refund you, I’m sure.
It’s not fit for purpose

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Uk
I agree with the above, I use it on all my timber floors and it’s a right pain to use.
You have to be quick and work very cleanly as it’s a pain to get off areas you don’t want it when it’s set.

Reply to Tiling onto Ply, can it be a success? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is 4.5m x 1.8m. The top third of the room is totally level. The remainder of the room has a slope...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm hoping you can help with some feedback, please My parents are currently having a new bathroom installed, all stripped back to bare walls and floor. The fitter has done/hasn't done...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent bathroom (600x600 porcelain, about 25m walls and floors) which went pretty well. I'm now having a go...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement