Currently reading:
Tiling onto concrete - over old adhesive.....

Discuss Tiling onto concrete - over old adhesive..... in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com.

D

deepinthepow

Hey folks. I did have an old username here....but couldn't find it for the life of me!

(Tiles are 190mmx570mm ceramic)

I'm finishing up my kitchen, and have a 3500mmx500mm section of wall to tile between the worktops and the wall units. This wall is cast concrete(not the usual no fines crap, but SOLID)

There is also a 1250mmx500mm section at the side(fresh plasterboard)

The concrete wall has been tiled previously, clearly dab and dot. No idea what adhesive they have used, but it is STUCK. I've tried various methods to remove it. Tiny chisel, Bolster, heat, water, steam, big hammer, blood, tears.....Its ON there!

Normally, I would have just fired up a sheet of 12mm plasterboard with some plasterboard adhesive(I like the foam....) or no nails etc, and then drilled/screwed it into the concrete at 600mm centres. Unfortunately I don't think I can afford the thickness, mainly as the the extractor fan has lights that are only a few mm from the wall.

So, I'm thinking I need to just tile over the old adhesive. Is this likely to prove a huge problem? At max its 3mm thick, and I was planning on using:
a 10mm square edge, with Mapegrip D2
PVA bond(Lol, Mapei G, ok for concrete and plasterboard?)

SO, solutions on a post card. I know its far from Ideal, but i'm hoping the surface of the tile might help any imperfections?

View media item 15816View media item 15817View media item 15815

D

deepinthepow

I'll take another look. 10mm square notched adhesive = 5mm finished thickness? 6mm board, and around 3mm for the old grout - total roughly 14mm? I'll try moving the fan out by 14mm and see if it works.

Could I get away with a 6mm trowel if I use a board? that would take me to 11mm, which MIGHT work. The tiles JUST clear the light on their own. I can cut them slightly short and grout the gap at an angle

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Tiling onto concrete - over old adhesive..... in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid down several years ago by a previous owner, and it looks like it was also polished and sealed -...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am a noob trying to tile our shower. Since the old tiles were taken off, some of that wall material has been taken off as well, so everything had to be smoothed. After smoothing with some...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I am planning to tile a full height panel of split face tiles to sit 3” behind a log burner on a plaster render on blockwork wall. I’m planning to score and scrape the paint off the...
Replies
Views

Advertisement