Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling kitchen - painted surface, help! in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
Hi all,

I know this has been discussed previously but I need help with my specific job...

I want to tile in my kitchen between the wall units and the work surface. It's a new build so I'm sure it's plasterboard painted with magnolia emulsion. My tiles are 100x200mm and will be 5 tiles tall.

What would be the best way to go about this as I'm reading conflicting answers elsewhere? I don't want to fix a tile backing over my current wall for decorative reasons and am worried to sand the paint off as I'm assuming the plasterboard was painted directly and not skimmed over, i.e I don't want to end up sanding the paper underneath. It's too hard to remove and replace the current plasterboard as the units are attached through it and there are around five electrical sockets to deal with.

What would you do based on the above?

Reaction score
Hi.
so they are definitely not skimmed walls ,just drylined and emulsion? , is the paint matt and porous?

Hi, I'm just guessing that they haven't been skimmed however I wouldn't know unless I sanded an area to see. The paint is definitely matt emulsion.

Reaction score
Ok. Try and see if you can wash the paint off.
Just used a non scratch scouring pad from the sink, it came off quite easy. See pic - that is a skim showing through isn't it?

20200524_165141.jpg

Reply to Tiling kitchen - painted surface, help! in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen