Currently reading:
Tiling Cscs Cards - Blue Card Nvq Level 2 For Domestic Jobs Soon

Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling Cscs Cards - Blue Card Nvq Level 2 For Domestic Jobs Soon in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Diamond Pool Finishers

Just had a letter asking me to re-new my CSCS card !! it appears i might have to sit more tests ! since i have had this card i have had to show it twice !! and both time the jobs have been a total pain to work on with idiots trying to impede my progress !! i thought i would ring them today and see what test and stuff i needed to do ! and i was told there was a twenty minute waiting time , !!!! so now i'am just thinking is it worth bothering anymore ! and just sticking to jobs that i don't need this hassle - on :thumbsup: what do you guys do or make of this scheme to flees-us of yet more of our hard earned money ?

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
what money are you all banging on about my card cost me £17.00 for the test and £25.00 for the card and it lasts for 5 years not a lot of money really.

But why would you want one if you dont do site work?
Or are you saying in the future we will all require to have one even if you just do private work.

Last edited:
S

Spare Tool

A CSCS card is:

• A certification of the cardholder’s identity
  • A certification of the cardholder’s qualifications
  • A certification of the cardholder’s training
A CSCS card is not:

• A passport to gain entry to site
  • A competency card
  • A guarantee of a cardholder’s competence
  • A Health and Safety card
  • A card for off-site employees
  • A certification of the cardholder’s fitness to work
  • A record of the cardholder’s work experience

Don't really confirm much then...

G

Gazzer

I am due to renew mine and I will because for what it costs over the 5 year period is peanuts .
I have been on site where other trades got turned away because they had no card...thats ok if you have smaller builders or private work to fall back on.
Dont ask me if it all mean anything though, all this health and safety is only put into plan when there is a site visit in progress in my eyes.

T

Time's Ran Out

I'am with Deano on this one !
I don't have a card as we dont do site work but for the cost and if it was necessary I'd get one.
If we can get our trade regulated and if NVQ level 2 is a requirement then it's a start. Even in the domestic market it would go some way to raise the standard of tiling.
IMO just because you don't need them shouldn't be a reason for not having to achieve a level of competence .
My son earned his Level 2 a few years ago and they gave me mine for being there and still managing to get up and down off the floor.

M

m3fitter

Putting the record straight: IT WILL APPLY TO EVERYONE IN THE NEAR FUTURE DOMESTIC OR IN THE CONTRACTOR ARENA Please read
It started with The 'big boys' ( Principal contractors ) insisting on SMAS or a collating accreditation company to ensure they keep their ISO awarded accreditation and for insurance purposes ( SAFETY MANAGEMENT ADVISORY SERVICES ) they collate all of your qualifications, HSE certificates, company policies in regard to training matrix for quality and health and safety.
and now it is filtering through to the smaller contractors, and therefore sub contractors and they mean to try and govern the domestic market as well for these guidelines, to ensure safety and quality assurance. Insurance companies are beginning to take this into consideration and asking if the said trade is qualified, and proof required
Green labourers cards will not get you on site as a tiler or any other trade other than labourer, blue skilled only NVQ2 under these new guidelines.
Insurance companies will not insure your trade unless you are NVQ2 within the near future
On every job, 1 tiler is required to be of supervisory level SMSTS and or Gold card
On every job 1 tiler is required to be SSSST qualified.
HMRC checked UTR and NI, CIS registered

This might look like a load of *!?££*! but in reality, will ensure our industry is not flooded with cowboys, ensure health and safety guidelines are adhered to, and you are fully insured to undertake that project for peace of mind to the client.
These companies like Broken Link Removed will collate all of your professional information, and your prospective client will insist you are a member, as they do not have the resouces to check and re check your details. Only Accredited persons / companies will get a look in on potential tenders in the future, the windows of opportunity are getting less and less for non qualified trade persons, and soon they will not be able to insure themselves in their given trade unless NVQ standard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Q

Qwerty

Yet ANYONE can fit or repair a flat roof whether EPDM or felt. I'm sure at some point our trade will be regulated, but believe me, there are plenty of bigger fish and worse cowboys to target before us tilers. How many "cowboy builder" cases do we all see on TV where bad general building/ roofing puts people's lives and livelihoods at risk. We don't hear of many tilers like that. Now I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but the big trades will be hit before we are. Where do they stop? Painters & decorators next? Not for quite a while I think

M

m3fitter

Yet ANYONE can fit or repair a flat roof whether EPDM or felt. I'm sure at some point our trade will be regulated, but believe me, there are plenty of bigger fish and worse cowboys to target before us tilers. How many "cowboy builder" cases do we all see on TV where bad general building/ roofing puts people's lives and livelihoods at risk. We don't hear of many tilers like that. Now I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but the big trades will be hit before we are. Where do they stop? Painters & decorators next? Not for quite a while I think

Its happening now, under the considerate construction scheme, and certain companies insisting on blue card nvq2 on their profession, hence the amount of training schools, courses advertised now to accommodate this, try booking a course, there's a long wait for many courses now.

M

m3fitter

I've got my head around it now, to begin with I kicked up, but I have found that by being accredited or even going through the process on the way to being accreddited, having processes, NVQ qualifications, its opening up new avenues and to be honest, is giving us an advantage ie: one large high end developer has preferred contractors that are vetted by SMAS, and the other tenders are just price comparisons, and will never be accepted, that was from the horses mouth

Reply to Tiling Cscs Cards - Blue Card Nvq Level 2 For Domestic Jobs Soon in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement