Search the forum,

Discuss tiling course right or wrong? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Mctile

I thing I have been robbed
I have done a course at Yorkshire tiling academy and some things on this site tell me that the course is not right, the guys are nice and seem to know what there doing but there are some things that don’t seem right, can any one put my mind at rest
1) PVA every thing before tiling.
2) For the corner tiles put a dot in the centre so you can move the tile to where you want it.
3) take photos off the net and put them in to a book and tell the customers you have done them,
4) Tell the customer and insurance company that you have been tiling for 2 to 3 years

Thanks Mc

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
this is not a joke this is what is on the course
the dot is a large dot of adhesive that is put in the centre of the tile so you can move the tile to fit like pushing on one corner or one side to line the tile up.

Dan i have been on the course and i have the certificate the give at the end of the course for what its worth

Wow - so it's true. I'm speechless so I'll say nowt. :huh2: :mad2:

Y

Yorkshire Tiling Academy

Hello everyone, interesting thread….

I’m sorry to hear that you feel you were robbed Mctile.

We are training and have been training for over 18months. We could bring out a published document containing case studies and comments forms as we have plenty. Many of our trainees in the majority are now successful tilers and we also use them when we have installations.

Our training centre and methods have been scrutinised by the CITB and the LCT and both were more than happy with us. We are also about to be fully assessed for accreditation as part of our NVQ 2 training and assessment programme.
So we must be on the right track.

We don’t know who ‘McTile’ is and from the sound of it he came on our course nearly eight months ago, as Steve (aka Tiny) has been involved with training more and more since May 07. That’s a long time to hold a grudge.

A lot has changed in the training arena in the last 12 months and most courses like ourselves are either heading towards or are training and assessing to qualifications.

A certificate of course completion and of topics covered was given and means what it is, application and gaining of experience is down to the student.

We train 5 to 7 student’s week in week out. First bad feedback we have received.

G

GazTech

We are training and have been training for over 18months. We could bring out a published document containing case studies and comments forms as we have plenty. Many of our trainees in the majority are now successful tilers and we also use them when we have installations.

Our training centre and methods have been scrutinised by the CITB and the LCT and both were more than happy with us. We are also about to be fully assessed for accreditation as part of our NVQ 2 training and assessment programme.

We don’t know who ‘McTile’ is and from the sound of it he came on our course nearly eight months ago, as Steve (aka Tiny) has been involved with training more and more since May 07. That’s a long time to hold a grudge.

A lot has changed in the training arena in the last 12 months and most courses like ourselves are either heading towards or are training and assessing to qualifications.

A certificate of course completion and of topics covered was given and means what it is, application and gaining of experience is down to the student.

We train 5 to 7 student’s week in week out. First bad feedback we have received.
Thanks for your response YTA, what makes you think this is steve (aka tiny) from may o7.....this dosnt appear to be a grudge post, but maybe just an observation.Can you tell us who you are Graham? Jonathan? or neither please.......Gaz

M

Mctile

I am not holding a grudge I have tiled my bathroom and my dads bathroom I have now been made redundant and decided I would give the tiling a go as a full time job to get work I joined a bathroom installation company and they told me that pva was wrong and when I came on this site and found out other things I did on the course was wrong I had to post it so no one else throws there money away, I have a tiling manual from YTA when I find it I will copy and post it on the site

J

Jimmy Boy

If 7 months is a long time to be holding a grudge or not, is not what's important here if he has only now found out he was given the wrong advice during his course.
To be honest I would have thought the points regarding correct instruction on the course would have been the priority ones that YTA would address.

Y

Yorkshire Tiling Academy

We have looked into the claims put forward by Mctile.

When we first set up the tiling courses, we were in the trade as a tiler and plumber/bathroom fitter. A tiling manual was constructed to help students study before commencing the course. The manual was an aid for the student to help them get used to the terminology used within the industry. It covered all things tiling such as tools used by the trade, past pictures from work completed describing what and how we achieved the end result, even step by step pictures on marking and cutting a tile etc etc.
Priming the substrate with PVA was in the manual due to various manufactures using similar methods (Granfix PVA & bonding agents, Nicobond Universal Bonding Agent and Sealer PVA). In response, we recommend to follow manufactures guidelines due to adhesive manufactures differing with Acrylic Primers, Bonding Agents and self priming adhesives.
Even though the likes of Nicobond has the letters PVA in big letters across their primer.
We give handouts from manufactures Granfix on every course which includes a table of every adhesive they do and how or if the substrate needs prior attention or priming before use. Sometimes we use the Nicobond Guide which is very in depth illustrating just about every scenario of differing tiles to differing substrates and what products are recommended.

2)The tiling with a dot in the middle of a tile to move into a corner; well I’m afraid we are all unsure as to what Mctile means.

3)Taking photos off the net? Not sure about this either.
We do however say that when you are starting out as a tiler and haven’t got many or no pictures of your own work to show customers and you are in with a tile showroom, ask if you can take some pictures of their displays and add them into a album. This will help the customer get ideas aswell as when you are trying to measure up the bathroom / kitchen etc, it keeps them busy while you are concentrating on measuring up and looking for areas of complication etc. Just a handy tip until you build up your portfolio but by no means pass off as your own work.

4)We do not say to tell insurance companies and customers you have been tiling for 2 to 3 years. We even tell students when we do our business start up that insurance can cost around £60 to £80 for £1 million liability as a tiler and it isn’t any more if you say you have just started or been tiling for a week as former students have proved this.

D

Deleted member 1779

I've been to a number of tile courses in the UK on my travels and although there are some differences in training material the info from the thread poster seems wild (note I am NOT a tiler - so cant really comment)

BUT: I wanted to know if I can I come up to Yorkshire and visit sometime this year?

Reason I ask is that the training centre sounds like a good place and I would lile to pop my head in for a day.

PS: About the photographs on the net. If ANYONE wants photographs cheap and I mean REALLY cheap you can do no wrong than to go to i-stock photos and they sell them for as little as £1. A quid is great value

bathroom-plans.jpg

This photo cost me a quid!!! And the absolute max you will pay is £12 which is cheaper than a takeaway pizza... Bargain!

Check them out here.
(Please note I use their images but dont have anything to do with I-stock.com)

Richard

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to tiling course right or wrong? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.