Search the forum,

Discuss Tiler used dot dab on bathroom tiles - help! in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Lwed22

-
Reaction score
Tiler used dot dab on bathroom tiles but saying it’s not a problem. What can we reasonably expect to happen here?

The tiler finished our bathroom today and when we’ve questioned the circular marks coming through the tile he’s confessed to using dot dab but doesn’t seem to think it’s a problem. From what I’ve read on forums on this website it should not have been done like this and will need ripping out and replacing. Any advice on what we can reasonably expect him to do here? Just to confirm he has tiled over flat boarding. We will be speaking to the tile shop in regards to the fact that the adhesive is showing through the tiles but for now I need to understand if we are being unreasonable if we refuse to pay and ask him to redo the tiling?
744CCF75-50C0-49CC-9528-8F6DA94D7D4C.jpeg

Lwed22

-
Reaction score
Its not a recommendation to D&D , just if its tubbed adhesive then failure is more likely and the adhesive won’t fully dry on that size tile and grouted as well.
70CDFE7A-303B-4252-B97A-BDD57E90AAA5.jpeg

Busted, I found 4 tubs of this in the skip! So he has used pre mixed. We went to the tile shop this morning and they said exactly what you’ve just said. It even clearly states on the tub that dot and dab shouldn’t be used. He’s offered to charge us half price so we just pay for the floor tiles but we don’t know if he’s done those right and wether to pay him a thing. I knocked on the tiles and there is defo hollow spots on the wall tiles but didn’t seem to be on the floor

Lwed22

-
Reaction score
My worry about the floor is that he’s also used the ready mix which from what I’ve read shouldn’t be used on floors and I couldn’t see any other adhesive packaging in the skip. We’ve got an underfloor heating mat. He’s trying to insist on 50% payment for the floor as he said he didn’t use D&D on the floor. Is it unreasonable for me to refuse to pay him?

Reaction score
Don't pay him a penny. No self respecting tiler Dots and dabs. Yes we dot and dab here and there, corner tiles or replacement tiles. But as a whole we don't dot and dab., Also, I haven't used ready mixed adhesive for about 10 years! who does that anymore!? Also, a tiler should always use white adhesive. Grey just doesn't do it anymore. I know its cheaper but why save a pound per bag?

Lwed22

-
Reaction score
Thanks for replying. That’s exactly how we feel but he’s so adamant there’s nothing wrong with it he’s making us question if we are being unreasonable refusing to pay. The tub even says on it that it’s not suitable for tiles the size of ours and states d&d shouldn’t be used but he just keeps brushing me off

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Thanks for replying. That’s exactly how we feel but he’s so adamant there’s nothing wrong with it he’s making us question if we are being unreasonable refusing to pay. The tub even says on it that it’s not suitable for tiles the size of ours and states d&d shouldn’t be used but he just keeps brushing me off
He hasn’t a leg to stand on. His application methods goes against industry standards bs5385

Reply to Tiler used dot dab on bathroom tiles - help! in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen