Search the forum,

Discuss Tilemaster anit fracture matting / tilebacker in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Rochdale
Generally 6mm Hardibacker on wooden floors. "Crack matting" is used to make sure any lateral movement (not up and down movement) doesn't transfer to the tile and cause it to crack eg on a concrete floor if cracks develop in it.

Thats what i thought, but if you have movement in the floor, wouldn’t that then transfer to the hardy backer?

just curious (i use delta tilemaster boards 10mm on floors normally)

Yes, you'd fix the floor first to take out any bounce. If you've watched the Sal Diblasi videos then think of using Hardibacker where he uses ply on the floor. AFAIK Hardibacker is just used to provide a flat, solid surface to tile onto.
Ditra and other mats will take out any lateral movement in the floor e.g on a tiled concrete floor if the screed cracks the tiles might crack too, so the mat will allow the screed to move laterally without it causing the tiles to crack too.
I tiled my whole downstairs and the screed had cracks in it so I used Ditra in case there was any further movement.

Reply to Tilemaster anit fracture matting / tilebacker in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Birthdays