Search the forum,

Discuss Tilemaster anit fracture matting / tilebacker in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
Does anybody use the tilemaster matting?

im a bathroom fitter and when speaking to other tilers, they normally use hardiebacker.

im abit confused as to whats best to go for a tile backer board or the matting.

we normally use the 10mm delta boards glued and screwed but the anti cracking matt sounds alot better?

Bond

TF
Arms
Reaction score
On sound wooden floors, I’m assuming , you could use ditra 25 or similar. Anticrack mat on screed/ concrete floors. Generally speaking. Easier than say hardibacker.

Reaction score
It depends what you're trying to achieve. Hardibacker and crack matting are not the same thing.

Reaction score
Generally 6mm Hardibacker on wooden floors. "Crack matting" is used to make sure any lateral movement (not up and down movement) doesn't transfer to the tile and cause it to crack eg on a concrete floor if cracks develop in it.

Reaction score
Generally 6mm Hardibacker on wooden floors. "Crack matting" is used to make sure any lateral movement (not up and down movement) doesn't transfer to the tile and cause it to crack eg on a concrete floor if cracks develop in it.

Thats what i thought, but if you have movement in the floor, wouldn’t that then transfer to the hardy backer?

just curious (i use delta tilemaster boards 10mm on floors normally)

Reaction score
What sort of movement though? Vertical ie bounce/deflection, or lateral?

Reaction score
What sort of movement though? Vertical ie bounce/deflection

yes bounce in the floor, i mean, always obviously take the bounce out the floor (if possible)

I’ve just been watching sal diblasi and landberg and they all seem to use the shutler matting and it got me curious if the tilemaster matting is similar

Reaction score
Yes, you'd fix the floor first to take out any bounce. If you've watched the Sal Diblasi videos then think of using Hardibacker where he uses ply on the floor. AFAIK Hardibacker is just used to provide a flat, solid surface to tile onto.
Ditra and other mats will take out any lateral movement in the floor e.g on a tiled concrete floor if the screed cracks the tiles might crack too, so the mat will allow the screed to move laterally without it causing the tiles to crack too.
I tiled my whole downstairs and the screed had cracks in it so I used Ditra in case there was any further movement.

Reply to Tilemaster anit fracture matting / tilebacker in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen