Search the forum,

Discuss Tile Levelling systems in the Tiling Tools area at TilersForums.com.

F

Flintstone

What I like about the genesis is the way you slide the top on so no risk of scratching by sliding wedges in and I like the way you remove them with the gun so no knocking them off Andy no danger of chipping a tile. The problems I see are the gun, at £50 a pop you expect it to be a nice tool but on this job I’ve been through 4 guns, it got to a point that genesis sent me 4 at once! They admitted there has been problems. The tops, a lot of them are fine but some are too loose and you can torque them up because they don’t grip the teeth on the base. The bases have a significant curve to them which can increase the feeling of a tile being bedded when it isn’t, and it also makes it hard to leave a clip in for the next day as you slide it in, the angle it sits at means it doesn’t sit tight to the tile, if that makes sense. Also, the price, very expensive, and if your paying a premium price you want a premium product don’t you.

L

LM

I think the vertical clamping of Genisis is better than the lateral action of other systems. It’s better imo because there’s no chance of a tile moving out of position while you clamp it, which is something you have to be careful with with others. As said also this means you don’t scratch any delicate surfaces. I like the versatility of the range of thickness that it can accommodate also.
In regards leaving clips in at the end of the day for the following morning and the clips sitting at a bad angle, simply leave a dry tile or two on the exposed side of the clip and the next day it’s not an issue.
You do make a good point about the quality of the product for its price. Tops do tend to wear out and need replaced after a while. I only have the manual pliers and they also wear out. That’s a problem they do need to sort out. That said RLS wedges can break too easily as well.
As I said I use the Block clips because of value, Genesis are too expensive for most jobs by comparison.

S

Spare Tool

Andy I've tried various systems but the eBay clips with raymondi pliers are all I use now, good strong clips and value for money. Just order a small batch of clips and wedges to try before going bulk if your not sure.
Never scratched a tile with them yet, although fitted some large unglazed ceramic on the wall and after chipping a couple when removing clips in normal manner had to be very careful with the rest.
My plumber managed to chip some porc but that's cuz he was using a lump hammer to remove before I stopped him

B

Blunt Tool

I have used the wedge and clip Mustangs and learned by experience that if they are in tight eg using the 2 or 3 mm clips as spacer aswell then you have a good chance of chipping tile when taking wedges out. I only use the thin Rubi quick system now, easily available ( CTD and others) , vertical clamping, guns and clips etc competitively priced with discount, and very easy to use and uninstall as long as you use spacers aswell so clips are not in tight. I would say it is ease of availability that I choose them and really only use them on larger format tiles 600mm and above.

andy-p

TF
Arms
Used the Genesis system on a 20m2 floor recently , tiles were 600x600 polished porcelain rectified edge and i was very happy with the finished result , you have to ensure the clip is tight to the tile if you're leaving the next row off as it can end up leaving too big a gap , had to pull out 2 or 3 that werent seated properly also can confirm the clamping pliers are not good only lasted halfway through the next job , took them back to CTD who are aware of the problem.

Q

Qwerty

Screenshot_20171224-224650.png

Reply to Tile Levelling systems in the Tiling Tools area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent bathroom (600x600 porcelain, about 25m walls and floors) which went pretty well. I'm now having a go...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

Tiling Tools

Find the cheapest price for both professional and DIY wall and floor tiling tools in the UK. Brands such as Rubi, Genesis, Fein, Karl Dahm, isomat, Schluter, Tilemaster and more.

You're browsing the Tiling Tools category on TilersForums.com. Find the correct trowels to use with which type of tiling. Find advice on lash clips and levelling systems and more.