Search the forum,

Discuss The disastrous consequence of no decoupling on u/fl heated screed in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Ken Bruty

TF
Arms
Bedford
Hi all, this is a job I have been doing for the last two weeks, which started as a repair including 9 tiles, but because the floor was laid so badly this ended up being 50 odd tiles, after removing the originals, with 16 of the lifted tiles having to have 5mm of screed ground up and dural ci matting fitted in a vain attempt by the builder to limit his damages, as the tiling company that originally fitted this had "disappeared":incazzato:. The reason(s) for replacement, was tiles cracking due to settlement, very bad bedding of tiles, bad trowelling, screed expansion/contraction, no bonding used and no expansion joints anywhere, and obviously no decoupler:yikes::yikes:. Apart from that ok:lol:.

Attachments

• DSC01016.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 129
  • DSC01020.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 122
  • DSC01022.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 130
  • DSC01023.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 127
  • DSC01017.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 127

Ken Bruty

TF
Arms
Bedford
Blimey, half that addy looks like is hasnt stuck to the screed or the tile. Almost as if its skinned before the tiles went down.

I hope your on day rate i reckon thats gonna be up and re-laid all the way through before long

Good luck with it

Edit: Nice website btw i hadnt seen yours before is it new?

Thanks mate, it's about 10 months old now, but I've been working on it with my other half (she's the designer) for about 6 months raising the profile etc etc.

P

paul flight

hi ken , i fitted a shower room in wanbrough near you in may and the barn convertion across fom where we where working was having 300 mtrs of 20 m opus pattern stone laid . the owner walked me through the job and told me that all the floors had uth under the new screed . i told him how it should be laid and told him that the fitter should fix a decoupling matting which he noted. when the fixers arrived i asked if they where fitting the matting ?? only to be told that it did not need it as he was using flexi adhesive . and expansion bars over the steels. i showed him the cracks in the screed . he shrugged ih shoulders and walked away. the owner asked me a few days later if i thought it was going to be ok ?. oh yes it will till you fire up the uth when it starts to get cold outside it will crack and will cost you thousands to put right!! iam sure they never fitted the matting to keep the cost down so they got the work as they where supplying stone ,adhesives, sealer , and grout . they will never learn...:mad2::mad2::mad2:

surrey
so i expert they never run the ufh before the tiles where laid as well , builders dont care until its to late , as they know best you cant win , decoupling is the only way to go and i wish it was made law , do away with the morons builders that are still out there. and expert the heating was fired up 3 days later which would dried the adhesive out- failer writen all over it, expansion joints zero,

Last edited:

Reply to The disastrous consequence of no decoupling on u/fl heated screed in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.