Search the forum,

Discuss small1st job since training school,refresh needed in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

tbaysaint

hi guys,
been asked to tile small area in bathroom after leak damage,i have no problem doing job pretty straightforward,just wanting to know if have to prime area first and what to do with the feedpipe to the shower,
the customer says the wall is honeycomed something or other,using ceramic tiles of same size as rest of bathroom.pictures attached:drool5::hurray:

ps. the rest of the tiles obove the shower will also be removed.

Attachments

• PICT8340.JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 64
  • PICT8341.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 53
  • PICT8342.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 55
Last edited by a moderator:
T

Time's Ran Out

It certainly looks like one of those typical Plumber jobs - the tiler will get over that.
What happened to 1st fix - tile - 2nd fix.

The pipes must be set into the wall.
The shower box should be disconnected and you tile behind the fitting.
The bath needs sealing.
As per Sir Ramic - you need to address the gap under the trim on the side of the bath.
Note : Protect the bath when you take the broken tiles off - and check for any damage to the bath before you take any tools into the room!
Nice little starter job!:thumbsup:

beanz

TF
Berkshire
I don't much like the idea of burying the flexi in the wall, but, i guess you can only work with what you have. What addy are you planning to use? If tubbed, then your cheapest option for the pipework is probably one-coat plaster.
Electric showers aren't complicated to disconnect, but your insurance probably won't cover it, so it's down to whether or not you feel comfortable tackling it. If not, get the customer to have it disconnected before you tile.

C

Colour Republic

I would never use a flexi in that situation. If it is a flexi then the bends on it will be 'pinched' where it is connected to the shower, limiting flow and can stop working altogether over a period of time.

tbaysaint, I know on your very first job you won't want to get involved in plumbing or even mentioning it but if it has been bodged up then the customer should really be told about it before it gets buried in the wall. It's hard to tell from the pics. You haven't got any plumber mates that can have a quick peek at it without charging you

A

A1P

I would never use a flexi in that situation. If it is a flexi then the bends on it will be 'pinched' where it is connected to the shower, limiting flow and can stop working altogether over a period of time.

tbaysaint, I know on your very first job you won't want to get involved in plumbing or even mentioning it but if it has been bodged up then the customer should really be told about it before it gets buried in the wall. It's hard to tell from the pics. You haven't got any plumber mates that can have a quick peek at it without charging you
You definitely need to view it and as mentioned a plumber's views would be helpfulI.It looks like one of those little jobs which could turn out much bigger.Any issues with the plumbing affects your work.You dont want a call back because any existing problems havent been sorted.Good luck.

C

CON5933

I would suggest the plumbing on this was a DIY job... I know you're keen to do the job as it's your first but this really could turn into a nightmare for you..
Try to persuade the customer to have the shower re-plumbed 'properly'...if it was a DIY plumbing job as the flexi indicates...was the wiring a DIY job?? I know neither of these is your department but both will be indicative of corner cutting and 'make-do'..

I really don't like the idea of plastering or gluing a flexi into the wall, an option may be to chase out a bit more around the pipe then glue some cement board into the chase out, flush with the wall and tile onto it..
As the other lads pointed out, check the seal around the bath, assuming it was flush when it was fitted, why is there a gap? has the bath moved ?... check the bath for stability before you climb in:smilewinkgrin:
Best of luck mate..:thumbsup:

Reply to small1st job since training school,refresh needed in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.