Search the forum,

Discuss Replace floorboards with 25mm plywood in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
Hi all

Bathroom have floorbords ontop of joists

decided going to strip them all and just replace with 25mm plywood maybe put hardbacker on it….

question

can i just put the 25mm ontop of the joists and screw in a line on top plywood right into the joists

i think they are 400mm apart and no noggins

im thinking around the whole bathroom in the edges put around? So can screw edges of plywood into this?

my plan is to tile ontop of this and remove creaks forever

Reaction score
Hello, I hope all is well.

Another alternative you could do is putting 22mm or 18mm interlocking construction boards on top of the joists. Allowing you to tile straight on top. A1 Fire Rated, Water resistant, no squeaks etc.

Dan

Reaction score
Hello, I hope all is well.

Another alternative you could do is putting 22mm or 18mm interlocking construction boards on top of the joists. Allowing you to tile straight on top. A1 Fire Rated, Water resistant, no squeaks etc.

Dan
Is that cementboard?

Reaction score
Very bad on one side and they all creak somewhat
If you did not want to remove the floorboards I would recommend using the 12mm cement boards on top (overboard it). Alternatively it comes in 9mm or 6mm. In terms of strength 6mm is equivalent to 15-18mm plywood (to get an understanding).

The other alternative as previously mentioned would be using either the 18mm or 22mm construction boards which are designed to go straight over joists.

Obviously thickness would depend on what height you need.

Reply to Replace floorboards with 25mm plywood in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen