Search the forum,

Discuss Re-Tiling over cement Sheeting in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
Hello Tilers,

I've lifted and are preparing to re-lay part of our kitchen floor. We are using the existing tiles as they had an issue with, over time, releasing themselves. We’ve removed as many tiles that are loose, chipped away at the existing adhesive, cursed at hurting arms and damaged fingers and finally bought and used a diamond grinding wheel on the angle grinder. Although this worked wonderfully and we should have used this from the start.. THE DUST! It gets onto and into everything! So.. much.. dust!

Ok, on to my question.

The grinding wheel worked wonderfully but has also taken a layer or two out of the backing flooring. This is cement sheeting. It’s not everywhere but some have 1 and others have 2 layers missing. Do I need to level the floor with adhesive before I re-tile or can I just use a bit of extra adhesive when sticking down the tiles? By adhesive, I mean the cement type that has to be mixed before application.

Your help would be most appreciated

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hello Tilers,

I've lifted and are preparing to re-lay part of our kitchen floor. We are using the existing tiles as they had an issue with, over time, releasing themselves. We’ve removed as many tiles that are loose, chipped away at the existing adhesive, cursed at hurting arms and damaged fingers and finally bought and used a diamond grinding wheel on the angle grinder. Although this worked wonderfully and we should have used this from the start.. THE DUST! It gets onto and into everything! So.. much.. dust!

Ok, on to my question.

The grinding wheel worked wonderfully but has also taken a layer or two out of the backing flooring. This is cement sheeting. It’s not everywhere but some have 1 and others have 2 layers missing. Do I need to level the floor with adhesive before I re-tile or can I just use a bit of extra adhesive when sticking down the tiles? By adhesive, I mean the cement type that has to be mixed before application.

Your help would be most appreciated
Hi. What brand of backer boards are they and how thick.

Reply to Re-Tiling over cement Sheeting in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've got an AKW Tuff form shower tray with a waste that is 10mm above the tray when fully...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Further to my other post re our hollow tiles issue It looks like our tiler has dot and dabbed...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen