Currently reading:
Porcelain tile chip repair...

Search the forum,

Discuss Porcelain tile chip repair... in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
IMG_20171118_163002.png

O

Old Mod

Not very deep..... Just the glaze chipped
That kit looks like it’ll be difficult to use on an edge mate, cos it’s more or less a thick liquid. That’s why they demo a hole in middle of the tile.
I think it’ll require building up layer at a time.
Don’t know how resilient it would be on an edge.
Is it a resin?
Watched the video, didn’t notice if it was or not.
A resin will have strength.

martin1c

TF
Arms
Cheshire
What’s that Martin?

It's a set that I found on amazon. I think it's German. You get a hot spatula powered by batteries along with a selection of different coloured resins. You start with lighter colours as a base then add dark colour until it matches the tiles.

There is a video on Youtube I believe.

I've used it to fill holes and chips and been pretty successful with it. I had to move a mirror on some porcelanosa tiles recently and when I filled the holes it was very difficult to spot them even close up.

Building up the edge of a tile is harder but possible. I added a spot of super glue to the chip then added the resin to give it strength. Then some light sanding and hey presto saved myself a lot of time and effort.

I

Italy

It's a set that I found on amazon. I think it's German. You get a hot spatula powered by batteries along with a selection of different coloured resins. You start with lighter colours as a base then add dark colour until it matches the tiles.

There is a video on Youtube I believe.

I've used it to fill holes and chips and been pretty successful with it. I had to move a mirror on some porcelanosa tiles recently and when I filled the holes it was very difficult to spot them even close up.

Building up the edge of a tile is harder but possible. I added a spot of super glue to the chip then added the resin to give it strength. Then some light sanding and hey presto saved myself a lot of time and effort.
ordered 2 hours ago, I'll try

I

Italy

Sorry for quoting your post, but for some reason I'm having problems posting and can only post by quoting.

That looks like the exact same kit I have for repairing wooden floors. Minus a few wee bits. £13 of eBay.
Might check it out on a wee chip in my own floor.
There is also a version for wood to 30 €.
this is for tiles and marbles.
I would not know if they are all the same.

J

JK Tiling

A method I have used in the past to repair chips with quite good success was to use grout and mitre glue.
I would find a grout as close to the tile colour as possible (can mix different shades) then using a Stanley blade put a tiny coat of mitre glue onto the chip. Next sprinkle the grout over the glue and push it in with the blade, put on more glue then grout until slightly proud, compacting it with the blade each time. Once done can use the activating spray to set it off. Then using either a brand new blade or fine grit sandpaper get the repair flush with the tile. Will stick like sh*t and should be water resistant. Hope this helps anyone 👍

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Subscribed
Co.Durham
:)
A method I have used in the past to repair chips with quite good success was to use grout and mitre glue.
I would find a grout as close to the tile colour as possible (can mix different shades) then using a Stanley blade put a tiny coat of mitre glue onto the chip. Next sprinkle the grout over the glue and push it in with the blade, put on more glue then grout until slightly proud, compacting it with the blade each time. Once done can use the activating spray to set it off. Then using either a brand new blade or fine grit sandpaper get the repair flush with the tile. Will stick like sh*t and should be water resistant. Hope this helps anyone 👍
Excellent tip. 👍👍

Reply to Porcelain tile chip repair... in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
Hi, I‘ve just finished tiling the majority of my garden path. Base is concrete, and tiles are porcelain. I’ve just got to the end of my bag of Mapei flexible rapid set tile adhesive (powdered)...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Hello, We accidentally scratched a few tiles while moving into our new home. It has been bothering me ever since. I was wondering if there is anyway to polish it up or hide it? Attached is an...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent bathroom (600x600 porcelain, about 25m walls and floors) which went pretty well. I'm now having a go...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement