Currently reading:
Polished porcelain, damaged surface

Search the forum,

Discuss Polished porcelain, damaged surface in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

I

Ian

Now then folks, I've just been to see a mates bathroom and here's the story. His old man was doing some decorating and got some paint on the tiles, he decided to use white vinegar to remove the paint and when that didn't work, used t-cut! This is what has happened
avarehe7.jpg
va4u9edu.jpg

I haven't tried anything on it yet, just wondered if anyone had seen this before and if they had a remedy. My first thoughts are to use grimex but, not sure if there was a better solution.

C

Concrete guy

They are scratched, albeit on a very fine level.

T Cut is an abrasive cutting compound, think very very fine sand in a cream.

The best solution is to cut it out and replace.

You could possibly re polish the surface with diamond pads , but it would be difficult, messy and not guarantee of success. You'd have more chance polishing a floor than a wall.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Concrete guy

Thinking laterally now and on the grounds that it's fecked anyway and facing removal. I have a cunning plan.......

There's an outside chance you could repolish this by treating it as though it's car paintwork.

Think of using finer versions of T Cut and scratch remover with a felt mop on a variable speed polisher, think of it like paint correcting.

It might work (there's no guarantee!). Myself and a stonemason are tinkering around with these products at present with quartz and engineered stone to see if we can come up with a way to repair surface scratches and such.

I'd be looking at compounds produced by this company Welcome to Farécla | farecla or similar, which (I think) are available at your local Halfrauds or car detailing outlet.

I

Ian

Can't think of anything that would sort that out mate but like ATS says if it's knackered then you could sort of try anything. I know there is something out there that removes scratches from porcelain toilets and basins etc but whether that will work on glazed i don't know.

I know it's not ideal but any chance you could tile over just that wall rather than taking it all down?

He's on about fitting mermaid board over the top if it won't clean up, only problem I can see is that the wall the shower is on is damaged as well, so if the hot and cold feeds can't be extended it'll turn into a right pain of a job. I'll have a blast with a couple of things, like you say, it won't matter if it doesn't work as it's knackered anyway.

I

Ian

It's a good idea but going from the (reflection) i can see in your photo it don't look like you will be able top extend those feeds, worst case is tile off under the valve and split the pipes lower down in the wall and then run them through again!!! like you say it's a load of work just to be able to then tile over the top. Cant get to the pipes from behind or anythig mate?

unfortunately not, it's a solid external wall. I'm trying to dodge this one but you know what it's like when a mate asks you to do something!

T

TJ Smiler

No choice really then but to take the lot down, would be a nasty job trying to extend the pipes from what you would have left on them after removing the valve and it would probably come forward too much anyway over the bath...... shame mate, don't blame ya for dodging it, especially as it's a mate. Poxy pain in the jacksie when mates want you to do stuff, don't wanna say yes but can't say no!! watch it cos you'll find yourself in at the weekend if you aint carefull lol.

Good luck

Good luck

A

A&D Tilers

This post court my eye, you may have already completed this job however, are you sure that is is scratched as it looks like unsealed porcelain. This has a haze finish that will never be rectified, if it is scratched or hazed sometimes call hologram, you can see this better with an led light, it can be polished out, with a slow speed 300 rpm buff pad or sponge with maguires glaze cutter, there are different types of cut from aggressive to mild. Be carful not to heat it up. Watch the maguires auto demo on you tube if unsure. We renovate tiles and have been very successful. You will have to re grout but hay ho.

Reply to Polished porcelain, damaged surface in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement