Search the forum,

Discuss Membrane required or not in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Hi

I am looking to lay porcelain tiles in a bathroom with wet underfloor heating. The ufh has been commissioned. The floor is a liquid screed and the Laitance has been removed. The screed got pumped in about 4-5 months ago.

Can I tile straight on to the floor and using a primer or should I an uncoupling membrane like Schlüter-DITRA?

If it is the latter what would I use to stick the membrane to the screed? Can I use flexible tile adhesive?

Sorry if this topic has come up before but I can’t find a definitive answer.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Albert

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gateshead NE8, UK
Hi

I am looking to lay porcelain tiles in a bathroom with wet underfloor heating. The ufh has been commissioned. The floor is a liquid screed and the Laitance has been removed. The screed got pumped in about 4-5 months ago.

Can I tile straight on to the floor and using a primer or should I an uncoupling membrane like Schlüter-DITRA?

If it is the latter what would I use to stick the membrane to the screws? Can I use flexible tile adhesive?

Sorry if this topic has come up before but I can’t find a definitive answer.

Thanks in advance
I don't understand. What screws, if it is a liquid screed.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
Its not industry standard to fit matting with porcelain tiles, its entirely up to the customers of mine if they want it .
Ive been qustioned on it when recommending it before as he read its not needed and thought i wanted more money for fitting out of the job, but also ive had them say they want it for ‘peace of mind’.
So i would recommend you have a good read up about Aladdin's carpet ;)
But im taking it its not a large area so wouldn’t break the bank

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
1mm off the liquid screed? Where did you get that bo**ocks from?

Remove laitance make sure screed is dry and underfloor heating commissioned. Prime the screed with prime plus or similar. Stick ditra (or similar) down if required with anhyfix or similar (gypsum based adhesive). Stick tiles to mat with cement based flexible adhesive. If no Ditra then stick tiles down with anhyfix.

1mm? I'd like to see you try measuring that...

Albert

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gateshead NE8, UK
This is what I have from the person who installed it.
“self-compacting anhydrite floor screed”

If it helps I have a block and beam floor then insulation then screed. There’s some damp proof in between too.
You need a gypsum-based adhesive to fix the ditra after first removing any laitance
or you could go with ball Flexi bone

Reply to Membrane required or not in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this, The property unfortunately flooded throughout. Now although I'm told it's all dry now I'm reluctant...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent bathroom (600x600 porcelain, about 25m walls and floors) which went pretty well. I'm now having a go...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm planning to tile my kitchen floor with 8mm porcelain floor tiles (660x440mm). My kitchen floor is...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement