Search the forum,

Discuss Glass Mosaic adhesive choice and surface preperation in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
Hi guys

Find myself a little stuck and in need of some technical advice. I'm about two thirds through tiling a small bathroom with large format ceramic tiles however I have a vertical feature panel of glass mosaic to install and I'm not certain how to proceed.

• Mosaic are blue glass, transparent, 7mm thick set on 30cm square mesh backing.
  • I've allowed 60.2cm wide space above the bath for these to be set into 2 sheets per row and about 2.2m tall.
  • Ceramic tiles are about 8/9mm thick, finished surface is about 12-13mm including adhesive.
  • Walls are flat having been dot, dabbed, screw fixed with Orbry boards.
  • There is a over bath shower so the mosaics will be subjected to overspray.

Despite reading through other posts I still have a few questions which I hope you wise folks could help with...I'd really rather not screw it up.

• Adhesive recommendation? Ideally available in small quantities retail bearing in mind I only have approximately 1.5m2 to cover.
  • Trowel choice and bed thickness? I've read elsewhere 4mm square vs 3mm V knotched trowel depending upon the tile, these are about 7mm thick.
  • Should I use mosaic mesh sheets to aid installation? I was wondering if these reduce adhesive contact with the back of the tiles.
  • If I do use mosaic mesh what effect will this have on trowel size/bed thickness?
  • Lastly is there any recommendations regarding building out the surface to bring the mosaic flush with the adjacent ceramic tile? If necessary I was leaning towards screeding the surface to a specific depth with tile adhesive subject to above recommendations on bed thickness and mesh usage.

So I'm a little unsure how best to move forward really and would be grateful for any help.

Reply to Glass Mosaic adhesive choice and surface preperation in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen