Currently reading:
Flex adhesive on wooden floor

Discuss Flex adhesive on wooden floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

PJS Sully

Hi,

My 1st post, here goes....

Have been tiling for 2 years now but come across a problem today that has never happened before. Am tiling onto a wooden chipboard floor that that has been overboarded with ply and primed. I have used a single part PALACE rapid set flex adhesive as movement seems to be minimal. When I came in the next day, the adhesive had stuck rigid to the wood but not to the tiles. The tiles just simply popped up. The house is 500 years old (yes 500) and I have also had a problem with the wall tiles drying because of condensation. I spoke to another tiler who said it was either an incorrect mix (never had a problem before) or condensation which seemed a bit of a coincidence. Any ideas please before I attempt to re-lay the floor tomorrow morning? Cheers

P

PJS Sully

10 mm notch floor trowel, tiles were not back profiled, adhesive was only down a matter of seconds as small bathroom floor so was working my way out of the room (approx 4 sqm). Adhesive was not skinned/going off either as laid the floor dry and then mixed up when ready to lay. Assume it would not have taken to wood if it was? Tiles were stored indoors and definitely not dusty. I have laid the same tile before with no problems. Cheers

D

DHTiling

10 mm notch floor trowel, tiles were not back profiled, adhesive was only down a matter of seconds as small bathroom floor so was working my way out of the room (approx 4 sqm). Adhesive was not skinned/going off either as laid the floor dry and then mixed up when ready to lay. Assume it would not have taken to wood if it was? Tiles were stored indoors and definitely not dusty. I have laid the same tile before with no problems. Cheers

Cheers .. just covering all bays here......deffo get a tech call out....have you kept some sticky to get tested..?..

And also as mentioned watch out for the old topps saying...THE PLY MUST HAVE BEEN CONTAMINATED..:rant:

P

PJS Sully

Its 9mm ply (I prefer to use the 6mm hardibacker) but plumber had fixed and primed it as I was squeezing the job in as a favour for him. Wish I hadn't now! I checked the substrate and movement was minimal and didn't seem any more than other ply I have tiled on in the past. I didn't skim the back of the tiles though. I knocked up all the old adhesive off the ply today, took me a while. There was definitely no problem with it taking to the wood. I have decided to re-lay it with BAL two part flex as I can't see how good the substrate is underneath the ply.

P

Perry

Its 9mm ply (I prefer to use the 6mm hardibacker) but plumber had fixed and primed it as I was squeezing the job in as a favour for him. Wish I hadn't now! I checked the substrate and movement was minimal and didn't seem any more than other ply I have tiled on in the past. I didn't skim the back of the tiles though. I knocked up all the old adhesive off the ply today, took me a while. There was definitely no problem with it taking to the wood. I have decided to re-lay it with BAL two part flex as I can't see how good the substrate is underneath the ply.
2 Problems i think, the floorboards should be screwed to the joists then if you use ply it should be 18 mm ply sealed on the back and edges and screwed to the floorboards 9mm is not suitable, you should also skim the backs to insure a solid bed i think the reason they have come up is there is to much movement or else the adhesive would of come up just as easy from the ply if you had of skim the backs i think the tiles would of cracked rather than come up whole you may get away with 2 part but i think there is to much movement and the tiles will crack with 2 part :pete

Reply to Flex adhesive on wooden floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid down several years ago by a previous owner, and it looks like it was also polished and sealed -...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is 4.5m x 1.8m. The top third of the room is totally level. The remainder of the room has a slope...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm planning to tile my kitchen floor with 8mm porcelain floor tiles (660x440mm). My kitchen floor is...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm hoping you can help with some feedback, please My parents are currently having a new bathroom installed, all stripped back to bare walls and floor. The fitter has done/hasn't done...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.