Search the forum,

Discuss First complain about my work. TOTALLY GUTTED! in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

J

Jimbobble

I've been working with a property developer & an architect which I thought was going well. I did the shower area as usual & thought I was doing a good job of it.
There is some very slight lapping on the tiles but nothing I'd ever consider as a bad job. As it stands I'm not working with these guys anymore & am beating myself up pretty badly about it.
There is some slight lapping on the tiles but nothing that I would consider a bad job.
Can someone give me an objective viewpoint on this as it has really knocked my confidence & I'm questioning my work.
Thoughts please & don't pull any punches because I'm here to learn how to be a master tiler.
What would you do differently?

IMAG0024.jpg IMAG0025.jpg

O

One Day

Don't let it knock your confidence too much! If you are humble enough to learn from any mistakes, and you are committed to getting better each time, then it's all good. The person who never made a mistake, will never make anything.

I would pick out the bond not flowing through the corner. Stepping in the internal corner making the silicone joint wobble.
Silicone joint is too fat for my liking.
Little bit of lippage evident.

I just finished a very similar shower today. I'll try and post pics tomorrow to show the flow through the corners....

Lee T

TF
dorset
To be honest the bond issue is subjective as a true brick bond (as in bricks not tiles) would set out as you have layed the tiles with the Hal brick actuall being a full brick running in behind the full brick coming off of the wall adjacent as you have done. Same as if it was an external corner the full Tile would have a half Tile lapping around to make it look like a brick rather than a Tile. Some designers let you know which way they prefer and others just let you choose but can’t see a massive issue there. But the silicone joint looks massive and the lippage quite bad as a result. But seen a lot worse on here to be fair

Lee T

TF
dorset
DC378C91-72AE-4CA9-8E4B-D2F66C07F384.png
To be honest the bond issue is subjective as a true brick bond (as in bricks not tiles) would set out as you have layed the tiles with the Hal brick actuall being a full brick running in behind the full brick coming off of the wall adjacent as you have done. Same as if it was an external corner the full Tile would have a half Tile lapping around to make it look like a brick rather than a Tile. Some designers let you know which way they prefer and others just let you choose but can’t see a massive issue there. But the silicone joint looks massive and the lippage quite bad as a result. But seen a lot worse on here to be fair

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Nottingham
I always go small cut after big (even if full), big, big and small, small above just looks wrong to me but it's all very subjective as previously said so I always ask customer what they'd prefer if full tile in a corner works.
Of course tiles with a clear pattern and flow changes things, so would set out so the off cuts could wrap. I would have also had full tile off tray and drilled the pipe holes where they land.(unless there's more to it than the photo shows and you couldn't for some reason)

Last edited:

Reply to First complain about my work. TOTALLY GUTTED! in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement