Discuss Entry route to tiling career - question... in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hello, first post, asking about career change and possible entry route into the industry. I know you've probably seen this kind of thread before but any comments would be welcomed.

Moved to a doer upper in 2021, been doing jobs where I can. Did a Plumbing Level 1 Diploma to learn new skills and do something different, got a taste for it, and wonder if can make a career out of something like this.

I’ve done / doing a few small tiling jobs in the home and looking at the learn from home UK Pro Tile training course maybe along with one of the shorter courses here Tiling Courses | Tiling Intensive Courses | Advanced Tiling Course UK - https://www.ytatraining.com/tiling-courses/.

Question is - I know I won't be ready to do every kind of job out there, but from there it is just as simple as contacting a few pros, explaining what I’ve done and asking for work experience / joining them for a job, or am I missing something really obvious?

In terms of just speaking to experienced pros, is it just a case of some will be welcoming, some grumpy, some too busy... any signs of what to look for or just a case of asking?

I'm 41, been a graphic designer for 16 years. Worried about long-term job security, wages are stagnant and I’ve reached a ceiling because of oversaturation. Had enough of working in a cubicle and corporate culture, a career change been on my mind since Covid.

Understand a change will result in a wage drop but with designer wages and the number of jobs dropping it’s a sinking ship. I’m also aware of impact on the body, but sitting staring at a screen for years is equally as bad and I'm taking steps to look after myself in that regard.

If you got this far, cheers!

Reaction score
Hi mate respect for wanting to learn the trade it takes years to perfect it and know the knowledge to be able to do private work in my opinion. I started when I was 18 now 28 doing it for 10 years the best way to learn is on big new build sites where you have copy and paste rooms to gain speed and practice. Tiling is a one attempt thing using thousands of pounds of tiles and materials if it goes wrong on a job of your own it will cost and ruin your reputation. Every job is so different on privates and only takes one job too completely break you. Try find a company that will take you on and improve on your skills and knowledge before tackling jobs on your own.

Reply to Entry route to tiling career - question... in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks