Search the forum,

Discuss exterior wall tiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Spud

i have one to tile and have been racking my brains on how to safely fix it, at the moment i have decided to over board the ply wood with 6mm hardibacker board screwed to the ply wood,next i am not sure whether to mechanically fix the tiles with 2mm stainless wire and solid bed s2 adhesive or just to go with the s2 and not use the wire its 2.8m high and comes under the height for mechanical fixing but as its outside it will undergo more environmental stress than internal work and as its ply i am leaning towards the mechanical fixing route

S

Scott

This is right up my street as i was going to tile my dormer cheeks. Dave informs me that hardi isnt rated for exterior use but im reliably informed that aqua panel is.

(I was suprised at the hardi backer as they make hardi plank for that very same use of cladding building! However is seems that it is finished with a coloured coating)

I was going to use ply and tank it. Im still leaning toward the idea of tiling it but on reading Garys post about heights i will have to mechanically fix and was thinking of a stainless steel square with a screw welded to the inside and screwing it through the corner grout joint.

G

grumpygrouter

This is right up my street as i was going to tile my dormer cheeks. Dave informs me that hardi isnt rated for exterior use but im reliably informed that aqua panel is.

(I was suprised at the hardi backer as they make hardi plank for that very same use of cladding building! However is seems that it is finished with a coloured coating)

I was going to use ply and tank it. Im still leaning toward the idea of tiling it but on reading Garys post about heights i will have to mechanically fix and was thinking of a stainless steel square with a screw welded to the inside and screwing it through the corner grout joint.
What about Wedi or Marmox type board?

T

Time's Ran Out

The area I am wanting to tile is the gable end of a timber building to create a gas barbeque area it is against a house wall on one side and has a roof over the area to be tiled, so it is reasonably well protected from the elements. If the ply is not good to tile over what do you suggest.
Thanks for the help so far.

It's not the tiling I'd be concerned about!

Reply to exterior wall tiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few ways to fix tile to bathroom walls. First you need to prepare the walls for tiling. Note that...
Replies
Views
I'm searching for 42 pieces of 12" x 12" Verde Alpi marble tiles. Preferably honed. 12" x 24" could work also. I am in San Diego, CA, USA, so would need packaging and shipment if not local. here...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for tiling.I have removed the floor boards and plan to lay 18mm WBP plywood.The question is, what...
Replies
Views
  • Question
The trustpilot reviews for tilers-world are excellent, but there's not a huge number of them. Price seems good for the tiles I need, but I need a large number of porcelain tiles for an external...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.