Search the forum,

Discuss Estimate & Quote ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

Alpha Omega

Hi All,

Can somebody explain the difference between Estimate & Quote,

Reason being, I just did an estimate but neglected to include the waterproofing.

I know I will look like a fool, but can I up the price ?, or should I take it on the chin ?

Thanks in advance

Gary

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DHTiling

Hi gary,

An estimate is an approx cost of the job whether this includes materials or not and a quote is a price that is fixed......:thumbsup:

T

Time's Ran Out

Gary - The way I've always understood it is
Estimate : a guide to the cost based on the work itemised.
Quote : A fixed price based on the work itemised.

However depending on what you have included in the itemised work is the basis of whether you feel you can stitch up your customer for more money!
If it is something that you have forgotton to include but should have been included than its the chin job.
Personally I'd take the hit.:thumbsup:

Timeless John.

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
hi alpha,,estimate can be changed and is what i alwats use now for material costing incase of price fluctuations/under estmation in materials etc etc. thats the reason there is such a thing as an estimate so your not paying for customers materials. your running a business i would build the cost of the tanking back into your estimate

C

CJ CERAMICS

Gary - The way I've always understood it is
Estimate : a guide to the cost based on the work itemised.
Quote : A fixed price based on the work itemised.

However depending on what you have included in the itemised work is the basis of whether you feel you can stitch up your customer for more money!
If it is something that you have forgotton to include but should have been included than its the chin job.
Personally I'd take the hit.:thumbsup:

Timeless John.

fully agree the hit will have to be taken.....sorry:thumbsup:

D

diamondtiling

So if the item that was missed from the estimate was going to cost £1000 plus £300 labour should you take it on the chin? go back to your customer and explain the error, if he is genuine then he will accept your honesty and will want the job doing correctly, your there to do a good job and to make money.

:20:

T

Time's Ran Out

Gary
If the Estimate/Quote issue has been resolved and you've slept on it which did you provide.
Is it at the measure stage or have you started the job.

Without more details any further input on the moral position you are in would be wrong.
We can all 'forget' to include £1300 in a price to win a job but is that fair on the other 'honest job' tilers who provided the correct costing for the work required.

Timeless John.

Reply to Estimate & Quote ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen