Search the forum,

Discuss DIY Tiler - 90 sq m of large format porcelaine tiling making me nervous! in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

PJPro

Dave recommended BAL Gold Star. Unfortunately, Topps don't seem to stock that particular variant of BAL adhesive. So which should I go for?

It needs to be good for the wooden and concrete/screed floor, walls as well as suitable for and tanked area of the shower enclosure.
BAL Single Part Flexible (White)?

D

DHTiling

I think that BAL is a fortune... If you have a Tile giant to hand then Mapei Kera-flex maxi is a TOP adhesive and suitable for all that you have to do..

TILE GIANT
UNIT 1, POOLE TRADE PARK
YARROW ROAD
POOLE, DORSET
BH12 4QA
Telephone
01202 715106
Fax
01202 715144
Opening Times
Monday
09:00-18:00
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
09:00-17:30
Sunday
10:00-16:00

P

PJPro

I think that BAL is a fortune... If you have a Tile giant to hand then Mapei Kera-flex maxi is a TOP adhesive and suitable for all that you have to do..

TILE GIANT
UNIT 1, POOLE TRADE PARK
YARROW ROAD
POOLE, DORSET
BH12 4QA
Telephone
01202 715106
Fax
01202 715144
Opening Times
Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
09:00-17:30
Sunday
10:00-16:00
Yes, there's also one in Christchurch. However, the grout and adhesive is all bought and paid for and will be delivered tomorrow. While Topps seemed happy to exchange the adhesive for a different type, I suspect they'll be less keen to give me a refund.

P

PJPro

While I was waiting for a reply, I took a look at the "Show us your work" thread. Wow!

Looking at some of the work on there has lead me to reconsider the brick bond idea and do myself a favour and go for either grid or random bond.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DHTiling

Random bond can be easier and more forgiving... Is there a slow set toppfix..? not sure as i do not use them.

D

doug boardley

Brick bond is fine with pan flat walls and zero bowing within your tiles. It can look better with certain tiles (imo) but the trade off is speed of fixing,large format tiles in particular, irrepective of name and "quality" are prone to bowing and thus leads to shadowing and lippage if fixed brick bond.

P

PJPro

Brendon (Topps) reckons the tiles have very little bowing due to their being relatively wide eg 600x400mm. He would expect more bowing with a 600x300mm. That said, I think this job is going to be difficult enough without further complication. I'll run grid bond past my wife and see what she says.

I've been reading the product information on the BAL SPF. Hmm. Looks like I'm going to need some BAL APD to seal the plasterboard.....but nothing on the floor on the No More Ply (the Project Manager is going for No More Ply over the Hardibacker).

W

White Room

Brendon (Topps) reckons the tiles have very little bowing due to their being relatively wide eg 600x400mm. He would expect more bowing with a 600x300mm. That said, I think this job is going to be difficult enough without further complication. I'll run grid bond past my wife and see what she says.

I've been reading the product information on the BAL SPF. Hmm. Looks like I'm going to need some BAL APD to seal the plasterboard.....but nothing on the floor on the No More Ply (the Project Manager is going for No More Ply over the Hardibacker).

There both the same just different ways of fixing

P

PJPro

The delivery company for Topps rang this morning to confirm they would be delivering on Monday not today. :-(

I'm off to a company called Atlas Ceramics tomorrow to see if I can buy some tanking for the walls around the shower. I'm assuming I don't need any under the shower tray itself.

I've noticed on a few threads the use of Dural matting. Should I be considering using this stuff on top of my No More Ply? Seems damned expensive.

Reaction score
re: rapid set v slow set.

I'd get a mix of both types. That way you can start-off with slow, it will enable you to do a bigger mix in your bucket and if you need to make any adjustments when laying it will be easier.

Then when you get the hang of it you can use the rapid when you're cruising, and on any areas that need it to go off quicker.

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
i just had a moment of clarity, strange for this late of a Friday, did you post that you were going from wood to concrete ? have we covered the points on wooden floors, and prep etc, sorry if we have, been quiet a thread.

P

PJPro

i just had a moment of clarity, strange for this late of a Friday, did you post that you were going from wood to concrete ? have we covered the points on wooden floors, and prep etc, sorry if we have, been quiet a thread.
The upstairs bathroom will be moisture resistant chipboard topped with No More Ply on 400mm centred joists. Downstairs is a concrete floor, covered with a bed of insulation (75mm) containing wet underfloor heating and topped with screed (75mm). There will be no transition between substrate materials. All walls will be dot and dab plasterboard.

I'm not sure we got into the details of floor prep. There are one or two outstanding questions in my mind e.g. the use of Dural matting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to DIY Tiler - 90 sq m of large format porcelaine tiling making me nervous! in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen