Search the forum,

Discuss DIY Tiler - 90 sq m of large format porcelaine tiling making me nervous! in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

PJPro

My shopping list at Tradetiler is at £700+. Do you think I might be able to negotiate a discount? I've noticed (on other threads) there is a discount for trade.

D

doug boardley

My shopping list at Tradetiler is at £700+. Do you think I might be able to negotiate a discount? I've noticed (on other threads) there is a discount for trade.
I doubt it, but his service is second to none and he will price match genuine prices:smilewinkgrin:

Bathfix Bob

TF
Arms
Reaction score
While we're on the subject of Trade Tiler, I wonder why he dosen't sell adhesives? Its still a great site though, my first order arrived today.
Sorry to hi-jack!

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
lol. you know what i mean doug,a 1200 ids heavy but worth a lot of money, 4 bags of addy weigh the same but are worth jack delivered lol

W

White Room

While we're on the subject of Trade Tiler, I wonder why he dosen't sell adhesives? Its still a great site though, my first order arrived today.
Sorry to hi-jack!

This has been mentioned before, delivery and other cost do not make viable

S

Sean fsy

dont forget to buy a couple of cheap paddle mixers to go in a drill, save yourself a lot of time mixing adhesives and grout by hand.

W

woodie

Hi there, welcome to the forum buddy, I wish you the best of luck thats one heck of a job, i'm sure the guys and gals on here can talk you thruogh it though. as for cutting hloes for the toilet i always use a angle grinder with a 4.5 inch diamond turbo blade(it's like a hot knife through butter. Best of luck

E

evo

dont use pva mate but what a mammoth task for you good luck to ya and im sure you will be able to get the help you need on here but fair play to ya for taking that job on especially as you are under a bit of pressure from the plumber etc wud rather you than me for a first time that is good luck to ya though

P

PJPro

Hmm. I spoke with Dave from TradeTilers today. Thoroughly nice bloke and gave me loads of advice. His start point was get someone else to do it. Interesting....cos if I do, he doesn't make a sale.

His was a bit concerned when I mentioned the brick bond I intended and said that unless I was very careful, I'd end up with loads of lips. In his experience he's found brick bond is more difficult to lay them over irregularities in the surface than tiling in a grid. He also felt that I really should be going with normal (rather than fast set adhesive). I've spoken with Topps at Christchurch and the manager there (Brendon) has kindly agreed to exchange any bags of adhesive as required. He did say that he didn't agree with Dave and felt that fast set was the better option, especially on the floors.

Anyone have any views on the adhesive I should be using?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DHTiling

Dave at Tradetiler is actually a TILER.. mr topps is just a salesman..:)

i know who i would trust and slow set gives you more time but also it islonger before you can walk on the tiles laid.., next morning, so if that is ok then deffo go slow set..

P

PJPro

Dave at Tradetiler is actually a TILER.. mr topps is just a salesman..:)

i know who i would trust and slow set gives you more time but also it islonger before you can walk on the tiles laid.., next morning, so if that is ok then deffo go slow set..
Dave recommended BAL Gold Star. Unfortunately, Topps don't seem to stock that particular variant of BAL adhesive. So which should I go for?

It needs to be good for the wooden and concrete/screed floor, walls as well as suitable for and tanked area of the shower enclosure.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to DIY Tiler - 90 sq m of large format porcelaine tiling making me nervous! in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen