Search the forum,

Discuss Clean and tidy working in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

J

JON HUME

Morning all, a few tips would be appreciated here please -
I am just completing a few jobs for friends and family in build up to my course etc in January.
I have just tiled a work shop floor for my brother which was around 6m2.
I used Bal quick set adhesive and found I was washing out my mixing bucket regularly due to the last of the adhesive from each mix beginning to set. I was mixing up around half a bag at a time, which I was managing but needed to regularly wash out the remains.
I was lucky as there was a bit of waste land at the back of the workshop and an outside hose/tap so I could easily washdown etc.
I then started wondering how you would do this if working at somebody's house in a kitchen etc?
Any advise on clean working would be appreciated. Thanks

T

Time's Ran Out

I got asked by a kitchen/bathroom company to go back to a job and take the cow pat off a customers prize flowers!
The top water was emptied in the corner of a planter , I never put anything down drains anywhere.
Did they expect me to drive home with it swishing around in the back of my van!
We still do their work today but they know not to take the .... !

Q

Qwerty

I will usually have a small gorilla tub inside with water & a microfibre cloth which I use to wipe down tiles/ clean grout joints. I will then use this water & a sponge between mixes to thoroughly wash out my adhesive trug. I will then pour the small amount of sludge water into a large gorilla tub outside. Over night this separates. I then pour away the clear (ish) water the next day and scoop the sludge into a black rubble bag and dispose of with used spacers, empty grout bags and silicone tubes. I usually double up used adhesive bags and use this for the tile offcuts.

I do it this way so I can bin the black rubble bag in the customers wheelie bin without it leaving a mess inside the bin, and it looks inconspicuous to bin men! I like to use the adhesive bags for offcuts as these can be deposited straight into the hardcore skip at the tip without separating it.

D

Dumbo

I will usually have a small gorilla tub inside with water & a microfibre cloth which I use to wipe down tiles/ clean grout joints. I will then use this water & a sponge between mixes to thoroughly wash out my adhesive trug. I will then pour the small amount of sludge water into a large gorilla tub outside. Over night this separates. I then pour away the clear (ish) water the next day and scoop the sludge into a black rubble bag and dispose of with used spacers, empty grout bags and silicone tubes. I usually double up used adhesive bags and use this for the tile offcuts.

I do it this way so I can bin the black rubble bag in the customers wheelie bin without it leaving a mess inside the bin, and it looks inconspicuous to bin men! I like to use the adhesive bags for offcuts as these can be deposited straight into the hardcore skip at the tip without separating it.
Our council now charges for hard-core

O

Old Mod

Use standard set adhesive. :D
I could definitely count on one hand how many bags of rapid I use a year.

I use plasterers buckets mainly.
One for my mixer.
One for clean water.
One for adhesive.
One for slops.

And one for the little boy who lives down the lane :D

As others, NEVER pour anything down the drain!
(When someone’s watching :))
Slowly pour off clear water next day.
Bag the sludge.
Empty adhesive bags, for tile pieces, be sure to use the adhesive first tho. :p
Mind you, I need massive adhesive bags nowadays, 3m tile pieces are not easily disposed of.
Always have a bucket of clean water and sponge close by to clean up tools, dropped adhesive or dirty hands.
Dust sheets wherever you intend to walk and put kit.
Use the waterproof backed ones, more peace of mind.
Clean shirt everyday, and polish your boots twice a week. :)

Reply to Clean and tidy working in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for advice on fixing a few problems that a professional left me with. He of course has not responded to...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in preparation for tiling. A couple of days after there's a lot of very fine cracks which have appeared, you...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid down several years ago by a previous owner, and it looks like it was also polished and sealed -...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, I‘ve just finished tiling the majority of my garden path. Base is concrete, and tiles are porcelain. I’ve just got to the end of my bag of Mapei flexible rapid set tile adhesive (powdered)...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

Birthdays