Search the forum,

Discuss Clean and tidy working in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

J

JON HUME

Morning all, a few tips would be appreciated here please -
I am just completing a few jobs for friends and family in build up to my course etc in January.
I have just tiled a work shop floor for my brother which was around 6m2.
I used Bal quick set adhesive and found I was washing out my mixing bucket regularly due to the last of the adhesive from each mix beginning to set. I was mixing up around half a bag at a time, which I was managing but needed to regularly wash out the remains.
I was lucky as there was a bit of waste land at the back of the workshop and an outside hose/tap so I could easily washdown etc.
I then started wondering how you would do this if working at somebody's house in a kitchen etc?
Any advise on clean working would be appreciated. Thanks

R

Rookery

Its a good idea to wash your tubs out between mixes. Any solids go in an empty addy bag then the wheelie bin and I pour the waste water behind shrubs in the garden explaining to the customer that mother nature will get rid of it in the soil. Never have a problem with that.

T

Time's Ran Out

I got asked by a kitchen/bathroom company to go back to a job and take the cow pat off a customers prize flowers!
The top water was emptied in the corner of a planter , I never put anything down drains anywhere.
Did they expect me to drive home with it swishing around in the back of my van!
We still do their work today but they know not to take the .... !

T

Time's Ran Out

What it did do was make me tell/ask where would you like me to empty the water?
You’d be surprised how many point to the drain!

Q

Qwerty

I will usually have a small gorilla tub inside with water & a microfibre cloth which I use to wipe down tiles/ clean grout joints. I will then use this water & a sponge between mixes to thoroughly wash out my adhesive trug. I will then pour the small amount of sludge water into a large gorilla tub outside. Over night this separates. I then pour away the clear (ish) water the next day and scoop the sludge into a black rubble bag and dispose of with used spacers, empty grout bags and silicone tubes. I usually double up used adhesive bags and use this for the tile offcuts.

I do it this way so I can bin the black rubble bag in the customers wheelie bin without it leaving a mess inside the bin, and it looks inconspicuous to bin men! I like to use the adhesive bags for offcuts as these can be deposited straight into the hardcore skip at the tip without separating it.

D

Dumbo

I will usually have a small gorilla tub inside with water & a microfibre cloth which I use to wipe down tiles/ clean grout joints. I will then use this water & a sponge between mixes to thoroughly wash out my adhesive trug. I will then pour the small amount of sludge water into a large gorilla tub outside. Over night this separates. I then pour away the clear (ish) water the next day and scoop the sludge into a black rubble bag and dispose of with used spacers, empty grout bags and silicone tubes. I usually double up used adhesive bags and use this for the tile offcuts.

I do it this way so I can bin the black rubble bag in the customers wheelie bin without it leaving a mess inside the bin, and it looks inconspicuous to bin men! I like to use the adhesive bags for offcuts as these can be deposited straight into the hardcore skip at the tip without separating it.
Our council now charges for hard-core

Reply to Clean and tidy working in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen