Search the forum,

Discuss bathroom tiling advice please in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

rsparky

hi everyone,
Was looking for some advice on tiling my bathroom. On stripping off old tiles most of the plaster has come off,so i'm back to bare brick. My query concerns how to prepare for the new tiles which are large (approx.600x300x10mm) ceramic natural stone effect.There is a shower over the bath in one corner. After reading a bit on the forums,I was considering three options
1)dot & dab with normal grade plasterboard
2)dot & dab with moisture resistant plasterboard
3)fit battens and fix cement based board e.g aquapanel etc.
with regards to option three above,could the cement based boards be fixed using the dot & dab method instead? Would I need any further prep on the plasterboard a skim coat of plaster or some kind of sealer?with regards to the tile adhesive i've heard that you should use cement based is that correct?
I am also considering tiling the floor which at the moment is just floor boards. The boards seem sound enough,but was considering taking them up and laying 18mm marine ply as I need access to underfloor wiring anyway. Is this necessary or can I just over lay the floorboards with something thinner.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated thanks

Reply to bathroom tiling advice please in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for tiling.I have removed the floor boards and plan to lay 18mm WBP plywood.The question is, what...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for advice on fixing a few problems that a professional left me with. He of course has not responded to...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is 4.5m x 1.8m. The top third of the room is totally level. The remainder of the room has a slope...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.