Search the forum,

Discuss 3 Floors in a week quote!? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Hey folks,

Went to look at a job the other day - cust requires ceramic tiles laid in kitchen 12sqm, bathroom 7sqm and Utility 10sqm.

He said he would be going away for a week and would like the job completed within this time ! I told him it would be at least 10 days for me ( I think?!) but afraid I may lose the job when i estimate for him .

I would be willing to work loooong days if necessary as the house would be empty. What sort of time scales could you guys complete this in (and I'll add about 3 days to it!)
As far as the quote goes I'm working on around £100 a day up here although would probably quote this at £750ish labour only. Although Im finding it difficult to gauge my speed which is making it difficult to quote jobs, I dont want the cust paying more because i'm slow!

I have a few pics of my recent jobs now - glass mosaic and outside step which I'll post later.

Thanks guys - as always appreciate your input!

AK:thumbsup:

G

grumpygrouter

I seem to recall a post oyu made a while back about having to give way to another tiler to finish a job you started, is that correct? If I am right, I feel you should allow yourself a full working week to get a good job done. As it is ceramic you will be able to do most of your cuts on the dry cutter, the kitchen probably being the most "difficult" cuts wise.

I think you rpice may be about right personally, plus materials of course - just for the tiling mind, any prep work needs charging appropriately.

WOW guys 3 days!! - Thats is outstanding! - The floors are all wood floorboards although were under carpet so didnt get a chance to look.

Grumpy you were quite right about that job you mentioned although I am trying to place that at the back of my head! - I agree with a week now and at least I know I can go into the night shift if not on schedule...

Glad my price seemed ok..... Hi Whitebeam yeah there are a few appliances that need moving so that will add on more time.

Will let you know if i get the job.

Thanks all

AK

G

grumpygrouter

WOW guys 3 days!! - Thats is outstanding! - The floors are all wood floorboards although were under carpet so didnt get a chance to look.

Grumpy you were quite right about that job you mentioned although I am trying to place that at the back of my head! - I agree with a week now and at least I know I can go into the night shift if not on schedule...

Glad my price seemed ok..... Hi Whitebeam yeah there are a few appliances that need moving so that will add on more time.

Thanks all

AK
Didn't mean to bring back bad memeories, I just wanted to make sure I had the right person in mind. If the floors are timber, make sure they are solid or make preparations accordingly. You may have to board out and this will take a day or so and needs charging accordingly.

D

davy_G

Thanks all

AK

Last week I laid 85m2 of floor tiles in 3 days, 8am to 5pm. Grouted and home by 3pm on the Thursday. Friday sat and sunday i was working finishing off 3 townhouses i started the week before.

Prices for the 3 floors, im with Hillhead here, £450 (no materials)

H

Highlander

Last week I laid 85m2 of floor tiles in 3 days, 8am to 5pm. Grouted and home by 3pm on the Thursday. Friday sat and sunday i was working finishing off 3 townhouses i started the week before.

Prices for the 3 floors, im with Hillhead here, £450 (no materials)

Aye Davy but 1111 is just starting out so it will take him time to get up to speed.

As for price I would say about £630 - £800 and no materials and if natural stone it would be more. Remember 1111 it is all depandant on substrate, tile type, pattern etc.

Highlander

F

Fekin

Hey folks,

Went to look at a job the other day - cust requires ceramic tiles laid in kitchen 12sqm, bathroom 7sqm and Utility 10sqm.

I told him it would be at least 10 days for me ( I think?!) but afraid I may lose the job when i estimate for him .

You really think it will take you 10 days ?

Say you do 8 hour days over 9 days, that's only 3.2sqm a day, allowing a full 10th day for grouting.

3.2sqm over 8 hours is 0.4sqm per hour, so depending on tile size that might only work out at 4 or 5 tiles per hour.

Fair enough you might be boarding out the rooms so that might take you a day bringing your tiling to 3.6sqm a day over 8 days, 0.45sqm per hour.

Obviously door ways take longer to cut round but the bulk is plain sailing full tile tiling.... I think you may of over estimated the time it will take you mate, even for a new tiler.

Good luck.

M

Mike Strutter

I'm with Varley here mate, tell them within the week is no problem and stay later if need be. It may be that when you get going you'll fly through it, if the floor is nice and flat it'll be easier and quicker than you think:thumbsup:.
I've just laid 45m of 330x330 ceramics on a soup bowl of a floor in 3 and a half days, which included bathroom, bedroom and through kitchen/lounge, and i've not been tiling very long.

Don't let it slip away from you mate, i'm sure you'll be fine:thumbsup:

Give me dates Anthony and I will see if I can muck in with you for a day maybe give you some pointers if it will fit in with my diary. If you want to graft we could lay all in one day and then you could grout following days depends on any problems.

Highlander
Sorry been away for few days.

Thanks Highlander, thats a very generous offer which would be greatly accepted. The initial dates were set on the week of the 19th of July - I've put the estimate in and just given him a nudge tonight, ok if I PM you? I did last time but not sure if you received it.

Just been to quote a kitchen and hall in slate tiles in this design
moz-screenshot-3.jpg
pattern34rtpic.jpg
Sorry Ive been looking for the name of this but couldn't find it, slate and design makes me nervous! What blade would you recommend for cutting? and should I leave to the more experienced?

Cheers

AK:thumbsup:
moz-screenshot-1.jpg
moz-screenshot-2.jpg

You really think it will take you 10 days ?

Say you do 8 hour days over 9 days, that's only 3.2sqm a day, allowing a full 10th day for grouting.

3.2sqm over 8 hours is 0.4sqm per hour, so depending on tile size that might only work out at 4 or 5 tiles per hour.

Fair enough you might be boarding out the rooms so that might take you a day bringing your tiling to 3.6sqm a day over 8 days, 0.45sqm per hour.

Obviously door ways take longer to cut round but the bulk is plain sailing full tile tiling.... I think you may of over estimated the time it will take you mate, even for a new tiler.

Good luck.

Yeah I know mate, but after my initial **** up on my first job, I seem to be Over compensating for my speed now and probably putting punters off.

I keep looking at separate rooms as separate jobs! 3 days per job.....I just wished you could buy experience! - as I know where I want to be and have no doubt I'll get there - but just finding it hard to find the balance of Actual vs estimated time .

I understand It'll get easier but dont just have that level of confidence in myself yet. Which doesnt really fit in with my personality! - I'll just keep askin If you guys keep answering!

Cheers again

Anthony:thumbsup:

T

Turkish

I'm with Varley here mate, tell them within the week is no problem and stay later if need be. It may be that when you get going you'll fly through it, if the floor is nice and flat it'll be easier and quicker than you think:thumbsup:.
I've just laid 45m of 330x330 ceramics on a soup bowl of a floor in 3 and a half days, which included bathroom, bedroom and through kitchen/lounge, and i've not been tiling very long.

Yeah but you had one hell of a helper on a couple of days!!!:lol:

Turkish

I would assure the customer you can get the job done in the week, even if you do struggle and are really slow, you have an empty house and can spend evenings there aswell. This is the job you need to get your confidence back up mate, not many get a chance like this. Best of luck!

Thanks Guys ,

I've done just that - but havnt heard back yet, I quoted £650 no materials - with the thought of dropping the price if necessary.

Appriciate all your support as usual:thumbsup:

AK

I seem to recall a post oyu made a while back about having to give way to another tiler to finish a job you started, is that correct? If I am right, I feel you should allow yourself a full working week to get a good job done. As it is ceramic you will be able to do most of your cuts on the dry cutter, the kitchen probably being the most "difficult" cuts wise.

I think you rpice may be about right personally, plus materials of course - just for the tiling mind, any prep work needs charging appropriately.

Cheers grumpy -

Appriciate yer advice as usual!

Anthony

:thumbsup:

3 Days.......
Just a quick note to apologise for not getting back to you all sooner, I was away for a couple of days and then my wife was away.

It seems she was right when she says - "The kids are a full time job!" , my appreciation of her multi tasking skills has obviously risen!

Anyway many thanks again for your quick responses.

Anthony

Reply to 3 Floors in a week quote!? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is 4.5m x 1.8m. The top third of the room is totally level. The remainder of the room has a slope...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid down several years ago by a previous owner, and it looks like it was also polished and sealed -...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent bathroom (600x600 porcelain, about 25m walls and floors) which went pretty well. I'm now having a go...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.