Search the forum,

Discuss Recommended cutter for 1200mm porcelain in the Tiling Tools area at TilersForums.com.

Bathfix Bob

TF
Arms
Its like a few years ago I was addicted to Gran Turismo 5 on playstaion and on some of the challenges you just couldn't get gold and everyone on the forums was saying its only when you get yourself a wheel and pedals you can control it better so I spent a few quid and kitted myself out, I even made a proper table I could clamp it to and I have to say what a complete and total waste of time! I just couldn't get the hang of it and could barely keep the car on the road never mind come first, I sold the lot on ebay and went back to my controller.

James De

TF
Esteemed
London
The material you’re trying to cut could well be part of the problem.
Just because a smaller version of the tile cuts, that in no way means a larger piece will.
The only similarity will be the colour and possibly texture, other than that they are completely different tiles.
Understood. I ended up using a crappy £90 wetsaw on them in the end

L

LM

Here is a vid of what I’m doing:

James that tile sounds quite textured. Try scoring it several times until you’re definitely through the glaze then gently weaken it with the breaker at the top end 15mm back from edge until you hear or see the surface begin to open but stop at that point and move back to the bar end with the handle and in a slow and gradual action apply force with the breaker and see if that works.

James De

TF
Esteemed
London
James that tile sounds quite textured. Try scoring it several times until you’re definitely through the glaze then gently weaken it with the breaker at the top end 15mm back from edge until you hear or see the surface begin to open but stop at that point and move back to the bar end with the handle and in a slow and gradual action apply force with the breaker and see if that works.
I scored it about 4 times, but I'' give it another go either later or tomorrow (daddy duties at the mo haha), thanks for the suggestion :)

James De

TF
Esteemed
London
What cutter do you normally use then?
Well I’m only on job number 3, but I use this one.

0BE513D0-C9C9-447E-93A8-6F2535CAB5CA.jpeg

Bathfix Bob

TF
Arms
And to top off my Sigma hatred, as I was getting the 'shark' (looks like a shark with the fins out) out my van, my 25kg tool rucksack fell out and straight onto my foot. I now have a damaged big toe :mad::(
Ouch!

I feel your pain, i dragged my Fein Multi out of the van with my powertool hessian sack but managed to break its fall with my foot and I actually stuck my foot out to catch it. God it hurt, right on a thin bone at the top.

Q

Qwerty

On tiles similar to yours @James De I score twice, then apply gentle breaking pressure at bar end to start fracture break and then move to far end to make second fracture break and its at this point it breaks. I never use sudden force to break the tile.
Just another thought @James De , you have removed the transit wedges/ packers from the spring loaded bed haven't you?

Reply to Recommended cutter for 1200mm porcelain in the Tiling Tools area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
Currently using TX700N but obviously now too small for the 1200x600mm I'm increasingly being tasked with by customers. Up to now, I've been cutting the 1200mm length with angle grinder/diamond...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Better apolgise for not being an active member for a couple of years. As per title, looking for recommendations please. Tired of so much chinese tat and should ask on here. I need a few as I have...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hello, after watching so many instructional videos and planing, I just can't understand how to tile a simple drywall construction in our bathroom. I got some good advice here so I hope you guys...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for cutting large format porc? Ive been relatively lucky up until recently and been able to cut most of...
Replies
Views
  • Question
The trustpilot reviews for tilers-world are excellent, but there's not a huge number of them. Price seems good for the tiles I need, but I need a large number of porcelain tiles for an external...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

Tiling Tools

Find the cheapest price for both professional and DIY wall and floor tiling tools in the UK. Brands such as Rubi, Genesis, Fein, Karl Dahm, isomat, Schluter, Tilemaster and more.

Birthdays

You're browsing the Tiling Tools category on TilersForums.com. Find the correct trowels to use with which type of tiling. Find advice on lash clips and levelling systems and more.